Wrath review by Lamb of God

• Released: Feb 24, 2009
Lamb of God: Wrath

What I first noticed about this album is that the guitar somewhat sounded different. I looked up about what the band members said before hand, and I found out that they decided to use less distortion on their guitars. In my opinion, I don't like it much. I always think more distortion is more aggressive. But somehow, they've managed to make this one pretty damn aggressive. One thing I have to mention is that this is the album they've used clean guitar the most so far. They use it on The Passing, Grace and Reclamation. Mark and Willie gave themselves a break on creativity for this album, but Chris really made it up for them. I say this because they decided to do every song with the most standard structure (intro-verse-chorus-verse-interlude-chorus). But Chris really took advantage of this. With all the experience he gets from playing over and over again live, he got to meet his abilities and was able to develop them, and I'm sure he gave his best for Wrath. On John's side, he did a really nice job. You can easily tell that listening to Dead Seeds and Fake Messiah. I noticed that the bass guitar is a little louder than in other albums. Randy's got only positive critics from me. His screaming voice is just better than ever. He now includes a chorusy scream, which can be heard in Set to Fail. Sounds so Old School, but at the same time makes you want to scream with him and just start jumping around. I would really like to describe every song, but that just eliminates the fun of actually listening to the album.

I never appreciated or even listened much to the lyrics of any song really, so for the lyrics review I'm going to use Axl Rosenberg's review, found on metalsucks.net, which I think it's better than my forced review: Randy Blythe's lyrics are, at this point, both pretty much predictable and clich, his delivery is powerful enough to make it all work. The lines Black liquid assets/Fuck the mujahideen/Paint their picket fences red/With the American dream may be kinda silly, but Blythe's natural cadences - the way the words roll of his tongue - have an awful lot of oomph behind them. There's also at least one song - seven minute album closer Reclamation - that does truly, absolutely kick ass, and stands up with the band's best work (Meanwhile, two b-sides, We Die Alone and Shoulder of Your God, are actually superior to several of the songs that made the final cut. Why these tracks didn't make it onto the album proper is yet another of Wrath's many head scratchers.)

After hearing the first single they released (Set to Fail), I appeared to me that their new sound resembled a little bit to that of Metallica's. Mark and Willlie created a new sound, but with Classic all written on it. What I'm talking about is Everything to Nothing, more specifically. What I really loved about this album is the awesome breakdowns that come with every song. And I mean every song. I consider the best breakdown the one in In Your Words. Oh, and they also included an intro! Shame it's an intro lost in hope. I was disappointed with the new disposition of the guitar riffs on this album. After you finish listening to it, you kind of keep waiting for more, but are left with your hands empty. Maybe they're preparing us for the next boom, which I hope I'd be in the next year.

Trivium!
    I don't understand how people can rate this below Sacrament. Every song on this album kicks ass, and IMO far exceeds their previous album. BUY IT. Everything to Nothing and Set to Fail are my favorites.
    chocolategod
    Just AWESOME, my fav song is reclamation but the bit between in the passing and in your words is just unbelievable!
    xionbizkiteer
    This album is "Up There" without a doubt. Just one word constantly pops up in my head when I listen to In Your Words and Broken Hands - EPIC! The same thing happened on Sacrament only once when I listen to Walk With Me In Hell. Well, yeah maybe Descending as well, that's a guilty pleasure, i guess.
    SG Man Forever
    Best songs are The Passing, In Your Words, Fake Messiah, Grace, and Reclamation. Set To Fail and Everything to Nothing are also good. My overall opinion is that almost all of the songs had good parts, but the whole needed to be a little more streamlined than it was. I know they wanted kind of a raw sound, but in some spots it was a little too raw.
    romencer17
    Metal Onslaught wrote: well I already commented on this album ad I'll have to do it again. This album stinks. Very disappointed with this one. sounds like a bunch of songs that didn't make it onto other albums cause they weren't solid enough. boring album. 5/10. wtf is up with that LoG?
    can't agree more.
    lilboisX3
    Maybe I'm missing something but since when do juneville angsty lyrics pass as top quality poetry?????
    petals_of_blood
    chimecho05 wrote: This album is awesome. My favorite songs are: -Dead Seeds -Grace -Fake Messiah This album is a solid album and it is awesome to listen to
    those are all my favorite songs off the album... I loved the intro for "Grace" and how hard-hitting both "Dead Seeds" and "Broken Hands" are. The songs aren't much different from what LoG did with their other albums, but I think they came back strong and just made another amazing album. Lamb of God didn't disappoint and they've still got a ways ahead of them... I sure as hell hope they deliver again and again when it comes to making that kick ass music of theirs. i LOVED this album... hopefully you guys/girls enjoyed it too
    Slash 555
    Lamb of God are probably my favorite metal band to come out in the last ten years and they have done nothing but get better and better. They experimented a tiny bit on this album with the acuoustic intro and the long 8 minute track at the end, but they didn't go away from doing what they do best: kicking ass and kicking more ass. Not every album ever made has to be groundbreaking or experimental; if it's good music then that's all anyone really needs.
    Metallidethium
    linnux : craggis19 wrote: kvltpolice666 wrote: METALCORE NOT THRASH ****in n00bs... LoG, Metalcore? I think not. Anyway, this album is amazing. But what would you expect, they have yet to release an album that isn't great. actually yes, they're Metalcore the style and tuning of the guitars, the heavy use of breakdowns, and the type of voocals makes them Metalcore, but with a strong Thrash influence they're good either way; does it hurt you pride that one of your fav bands is metalcore, i bet you like All That Remains, probably As I Lay Dieing as well, guess what! METALCORE they're good bands, idk where metalcore got such a bad rap i love this new album btw
    yea where did metalcore get such a bad rep from? i think its a great genre although im more likely to call lamb of god groove/thrash metal. this album by the way is pretty awesome, not their best but still pretty good. 9/10 in my opinion.
    Metal Onslaught
    MidDrift Dragon wrote: yo. this album broke down ground beat the shit out of doors it's a great album different from before this band experimented and this will be a better received experiment than some of the past bands who got pissed on for experimenting.
    sorry dude, but this album is just sub-par from a band like LoG. There was very little in the way of experimenting on this album, and even less in the ways of evolution. I still like LoG, but lets face it this album is just not a good one. One guy even made the comment that he could hear recycled riffs, and I can verify that I hear them too. I was pretty excited about this album, but that is all over with now. again, very disappointed.
    linnux
    BlackSymphony6
    DANZIG767 wrote: Lamb Of God cannot put out a bad record
    true, but they struggle to put out an exceptional one either. log = definition of solid and reliable
    sigur_ros6
    Zycho wrote: Utterly disappointing.
    agreed, I did not care for this album in the least bit
    akronos
    i hate to say it buy i think they are slowly running out of steam. Of course i cant blame them. They put their heart, soul, and most of their balls into making Palaces and Ashes, which are two of the ****ing greatest metal albums ever. Since sacrament, ive felt they were missing something. i mean, songs like laid to rest and 11th hour had memorable riffs. if i heard the opening riffs to any of the songs off of Ashes, i knew immediately what song it was. i give wrath a 6.5/10. Find your roots LoG! i know u got some balls left in you!
    escalade
    its funny to hear some of their riffs get used again from other songs. Nothing bad about it because it's never enough to jump out right at you, but if you look deep enough you will. for example: Reclamation, the dissonant chords remind me of Blood Junkie, and a few other lil riffs from Palaces and Gospel. But who cares?!? the new album is amazing, and who says you need to be in drop Q# for a good breakdown?? \m/
    Salamandyk
    Pretty solid album. I personally liked Sacrament better but this album is good and worth the buy nonetheless!
    Lion_Slicer
    I never liked Sacrament as much as Ashes or Gospel... but when I put in Wrath, I **** myself. I absolutely love it! I hate comparing new albums to the same band's older stuff, unless there is an obvious improvement (as with Machine Head's "Master of Puppets"-level Blackening), but Wrath definitely reminds me of their sludgy Burn the Priest days. Note that remnicient does not mean rehashed in any way. The vocals and lyrics are top-notch, and the production is wonderfully gritty. Only complaint is that some riffs are a little derivative. For example, when "In Your Words" first started, I thought my iTunes had been seen to shuffle and started playing "The Faded Line" from Ashes. Really that's the only concrete example, for the most part I like the riffs. Contractor is thrashy as hell. Whew... yeah this album kills.
    nobrightskys
    This could very well become my favorite LOG album. amazing. And you can get the CD T-shit bundle at Hot Topic for $20
    DOOdooroCK
    I want this cd so bad, Sacrament was a disappointment. has any1 win any prize?
    randyaintdead82
    [Arran] wrote: The 3rd review down said that they use lower tunings... They've always been Drop D, and I can't hear anything lower than that on the rest of the album. In Your Words and Reclamation are the best songs on the album, in my opinion. The only song that disappointed me was 'Everything To Nothing', seeing as it stole a riff from Sacrament's 'Pathetic'. Just listen to the songs and you'll see what I mean. I also thought that the outro to 'Fake Messiah' dragged a bit, but it leads into Grace, which is a very good song. I'll give this album an 8.5. Good, with some flaws. Long live Ashes Of The Wake.
    Yeah they went down a one half step to Drop C# for songs like Grace and Reclamation, cant you hear the darker lower tuned sound from the guitars?
    Jigsaw62
    like slayer????...they've been better than slayer since day one... but so was Queen.....
    [Arran]
    Smithsc
    great album! deserved at least a 9 for god sakes! it their best album since ashes!
    GuidoPP
    Peres.T.Peanut wrote: Paramecium302 wrote: Peres.T.Peanut wrote: Sacrament part 2 kinda...Very good album, but still, overrated. how the **** can it be overrated the second day it's been out? Great album, too many pessamists I see. As Mark Morton says, if you don't like it "Start your own ****ing band." Its only been released FOR SALE 2 days ago, but if you pay a litle attention to forums, UG one included, you'll realize that peple are making a much bigger deal out of this than what they should. Like I said before, great ****ing album, but not original. and the breakdowns....DAMN thats boring, ruins the vibe of the song (namely in contractor).
    Totally agree with you. I was one of the reviewers but forgot to login first. LoG's getting lazy.. :S
    Connah
    pretty good album. better than sacrament, but they didn't top AotW, imo.
    Metal_Hed_23
    I cried a little the second in your words strarted. Tears of joy my friends. This album is amazing SOLID 9.5. solos a little to upbeat happy for me. The only flaw imo
    GRiMM94
    This is a Great CD! In my opinion, this is their 2nd best album, second only to As the Palaces Burn. The songs are all very agressive and fun to listen to. It's definitely an early contender for Best metal album of 2009.
    Lion_Slicer
    Metalcore is pretty diverse... it has to be, for you guys to consider LoG and Atreyu in the same genre :/ Speaking of metalcore... Trivium gets too much hate. Shogun is a masterful piece of work. I won't hate a band just because they're considered metalcore, or even nu-metal. Only after listening do I judge. Same on the flip side, I don't immediately run out and buy every CD labeled progressive death metal (just most haha).
    Holy-Diver
    @ the metalcore discussion: the reason all these log fans dont want ppl to call log metal is because they want to be a true metalhead, and listen to music which is "underground" and adults frown on. NEWS ALERT!!! LOG ARENT IN THE LEAST METAL, AND THEY ARE POPULAR!!! that being said, this album is poor by log standards, 5/10
    Metal Onslaught
    TSmitty6
    i had my doubts after sacrement, but this is now my 2nd favorite behind AOTW.
    danimal_crakerz
    I love Lamb of God. Certain albums stick out more to me than others, as do any other bands.... but Wrath, i was pleased to find that, right away, i enjoyed it. I cant say the same for Sacrament. Sacrament really had to grow on me. But don't get me wrong, Sacrament is still an amazing album.
    metal-head666
    bloodbath519 wrote: Good album. Way better than Sacrement.
    thats pretty good then. sacrament is great
    Paro_metalhead
    Why is everybody saying this album is either "too similar sounding" or "too bland"? if you like LOG, you should LOVE this album like i did. Full of their signature hard-hitting riffs, psychotic growling and incredible bass lines and blast beats, not much more to ask for. So they have a choice - change our sound to a softer one so ppl hate us, or (like they chose to) keep it so ppl hate us even more, wat do you expect from them? To me, they hardly change their style, but every song is distinctive in a way, not just a clone of each other. def a 8/10, wat an excellent start of 2009 CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM AT SOUNDWAVE LOG FOR LIFE!!! \,,/
    Tumble-weed
    Walked in expecting nothing. After the shitfest that was Sacrament, I was at least expecting this album to be MARGINALLY better. Those little expectations went flying out the window and I sat there, groaning in boredom at the redundancy of their latest effort. Almost every songs starts out the same and these guys just can't get any more repetitive. After listening to yet another steaming pile from this band, I went back to listening to Death's Human and immediately forgot about the former.
    jofusf
    your not alone my man. i am in the same boat. and the part that gets me is that we cant do shit about it.
    DieselEater wrote: Well, not a bad album by any means, but it just doesn't really sound like the Lamb of God I fell in love with. They just don't have it anymore in my opinion. They went the way of slipknot, I could see these songs getting airplay, since when did metal try to appeal to a general audience? One thing is for sure, they lost a lot of fan base with this album, but gained a whole lot more. Never in my 11 years of listening to these guys did I ever think I'd have to write a bad review, but I don't like to share my music with people who don't give a shit about it, but just "like the beat" or "the guitars". Frankly, I'm greatly disappointed and I wish I would've just downloaded it. Metal is beginning to go mainstream and it irritates me beyond description.
    Goin' Mobile
    New album is amazing, but why does the reviewer say they don't experiment? Yes they ****in do. They use acoustics on this album, and the drumming is way more varied. They are taking it to a new level, not going back to basics.
    DieselEater
    jofusf
    ya but im sure that sacrament was the first album you ever heard from LoG. i thought sacrament was their weakest album yet and in my opinion there "main stream/Sell out"album.I can honestly say i hated that album. The lamb of god i know is the LoG from BTP or New American Gospel. Not the sacrament LoG. and i havent bought this album solely because i had the notion it would be just another sacrament.... maybe ill give it a shot. but its almost impossible for a band to progress so far and then go back to its original roots. they cant just go back and become unpopular again, when their good music was unknown. its never the same.
    Mephysteaux wrote: I, as well as everyone I've talked to, was disappointed with this album. Listening to the album, I rated all the songs from "eh" to "good", compared to Sacrament, which is on my top 3 albums, where I rated every song "good" to "amazing". The vocals sounded weird, the ass kicking riffs just didn't seem to be there. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album, but LOG is a great band that I've come to expect great things from.
    SlipknotZ
    This album... Takes everything I knew about lamb of God... and RAPES it. This album was ****ing AMAZING I cant believe how well they made this album. Best songs are Set to fail, Contractor and Fake Messiah by far
    Paramecium302
    I would also like to point out that METALCORE has LONG lost its true defenition. If 'CORE' comes from 'HARDCORE' like the 'circle jerks' and 'millions of dead cops', and 'METAL' is obviously metal, than how can Lamb of God come close to being classified as that? there were little to NO breakdowns in Hardcore music