Wrath review by Lamb of God

• Released: Feb 24, 2009
Lamb of God: Wrath

Lamb Of God are known for their slogan "Pure American Metal." Let's go into that a bit- Rock & Roll was created in America, and was an exciting, fast paced, catchy genre of music. This is what Lamb Of God have delivered in every album prior to "Wrath," and the latter is no exception to this trend. One thing listeners are immediately surprised with is an acoustic intro to "The Passing," the first track on the album- an instrumental. Another is the inclusion of singing. Lamb Of God have been quite content to have ball-crushing screaming on previous albums, which is still prevalent on "Wrath," but also with the occasional vocal phrase being sung. "Wrath" isn't as polished as "Ashes Of The Wake" or "Sacrament," production-wise, and it seems to be quite garage-y. Take this as a good thing or a bad thing.

Lamb Of God are known for quality lyrics. Flip through the lyric book in the CD as you listen to the album, and the only thing going through your head will be "Hell yeah!" Sometimes the lyrics get a bit heavy and emotional, and the tone of music doesn't do the lyrics justice, but that's metal, I guess. Randy Blythe never disappoints vocally. He's not just an album vocalist, he delivers a quality performance live as well as in the studio. Randy Blythe is to this decade as vocalists like James Hetfield was to the 80s and 90s.

In my opinion, this is Lamb Of God's best album. I rank their albums in this order: - Wrath - Ashes Of The Wake - Sacrament - New American Gospel. The most impressive songs on the album are "Set To Fail," "Grace," "Broken Hands," "Dead Seeds," "Reclamation," and one of the bonus tracks on the Special Edition called "Shoulder Of Your God." What I love about this album is that I don't see myself getting tired of it like I can with other bands' albums. What I don't like about the album is that it sounds like they were trying too hard to make the production of the album sound raw, but it sounds like a demo. If it were stolen or lost, I'd burn a copy of it from my laptop because I would have ripped it onto my iTunes and I don't have another CD player.

postmortem2006
    A terrible mess. The band has tried to progress, yet revisit their BTP days at the same time and they didn't achieve anything but an album sloppier than diarreha. Listen to Burn the Priest or New American Gospel instead.
    skyfire322
    Well... I was anxiously awaiting the release of it and I was quite disappointed. There are a few cool riffs, but it's too weird for them. It's a great album, but not a good Lamb of God album. Valiant effort, but it get me pumped up like Ashes did.
    mercurymay
    kvltpolice666 wrote: METALCORE NOT THRASH ****in n00bs...
    stop getting caught up in subgenres. it does have elements of thrash in it. start posting on UG once you graduate middle school.
    Holy-Diver
    it IS commercial sorry
    Paramecium302
    Holy-Diver wrote: jesussowns wrote: I think the reason people aren't as impressed with this album as they should (yes, should) realistically be with it because it isn't as commercial. Theres no real...radio friendly song? This album is Lamb Of God flexing their talent and showing off their skills, not trying to make these commercialised sellout Metallica fans happy. This is solid, strong, talented metal. And **** me sideways if i'm gonna sit here and let stupid ****in 13 year olds like vanhailin and SvnStringMaster sit here and bag a perfectly good album. Sort your shit out and learn to appreciate music for what it is, not compare it to a completely different band who writes in a completely different context from a completely different background for a completely different audience. it IS commercial sorry
    In what way? They have no commercials that I've seen, you won't hear them on radio, in what way is this commercial? Just because they have a lot of popularity in the metal community?
    heartagram256
    To those of you who said it sucks, or wasn't worth buying.....you're an idiot. I got this album the day it came out and have listened to it a total of 6 times completely through, and once I start it, I can't turn it off. This is deffinately one of my new favorite albums. I find it brilliant and they couldn't have done a better job. It's traditional Lamb Of God, with a melodic touch, and Randy's newly developed singing voice just adds to the melody and kicks ass. I hear a mixture of Sacrament and Ashes Of The Wake on every song. Plus the transition between The Passing and In Your Words is utterly flawless and makes that amazing intro riff of In Your Words knock you on your ass even harder. The lyrics are incredibly catchy which I love, like the chorus of Set To Fail and on Contractor when he says "Put your hammer (hammer) down, and get the job done right. Jacked up and cocked in into a firefight." I can't get either part out of my head. The riffing is some of the best I've ever heard just like all of LoG's albums and is the best I've heard recently since Unearth's "The March." Absolutely brilliant album. If you haven't already, go spend the maybe $15 because it's more than worth it. (And if you buy it from Hot Topic you get the album and a t-shirt for $20.)
    Dr_shred9782
    Did you actually listen to this album?!? How can you say LOG didn't try anything new? First, they start the album with a tension-building instrumental, on my first listen I immediately began reminiscing about the intros found on "Ride the Lightning" or "Master of Puppets." Hell Yes LOG jumps right into on the next track with the sick riffs and heaviness we'd expect, and powers on through until the clean bluesy into to 'Grace'.....a song that really shows just how ridiculous talented these guys are, the riffs are amazing. And as for the whole album, they have a good mix of fast and slower stuff, not an overload of either. And how many 7 min long songs has LOG recorded before? Reclamation is ****ing great, the clean into heavy guitars, don't say LOG has kept their style exactly the same because what we hear from them on "Wrath" is a band that knows how to build off of the great metal they are known for making. Love this CD, go buy it now!
    Warlock-Revenge
    For those of you who are saying they're useing recycled riffs, its not a bad thing, its what gives the band its sound and style, just like how megadeth has Dave Mustain's spider riff and Slayer has Kerry Kings insanley fast licks.
    ShadesOfNight
    Commercial? Commercial my left testicle! Fuck all of you band-wagon-riding haters who think that any band who plays outside of some seedy, underground club full of satanistic rituals is mainstream. By labelling them as anything like that you are putting them along side the jonas sisters, fall out girl and nickel****. Seriously, grow up. They are famous and a huge band for a goddam reason - THEY FUCKIN RULE! Wrath wasn't as good overall as Sacrament (IMO) but I still loved it, more than Gospel and Palaces, and its about on par with Ashes I'd say. Standout tracks? Hmm...In Your Words, Grace, Broken Hands and We Die Alone. And as for recycled riffs...it all sounds a bit original to me! You all just heard one guy say it and you all assume he was right without actually listening to the album. Right now, all of you, go out and with the shrapnel in your pocket BUY THE ALBUM! Or get it off iTunes or something, and then I defy you to pick holes in it again. Penis That is all.