Wrath review by Lamb of God

• Released: Feb 24, 2009
Lamb of God: Wrath

This has got to be the best album I have ever heard... Ever. This album has raped my ears, chewed me up and spit my ass back out. There are a few things that attract me to this album more than anything. The first being the fact that the guitar riffing is phenomenal. Me being a guitarist and Lamb of God being my fave band I play a lot of their songs. But the opening riff for "In Your Words" kicks my ass to the curb. Willie and Mark have really outdone themselves in all aspects of playing. Willie with his rhythm parts and Mark with his leads. Another thing that attracts me to this album is the fact that they used guitar layers. Things you really have to listen for that you can't really hear the first time around but the more you listen to the songs the more you think "I don't remember hearing that before. that's badass!" Mark once said in an interview that "we had a lot of influence from MachineHead with our sound with the guitars." Chris Adlers drums have gotten much more aggressive also, what with some blast beats and much more technical bass drums.

David Randal Blythe has outdone himself in every aspect. Lyrically and vocally. He has found a way to keep his kind of Gospel/Palaces grungy-ness yet has developed his scream so well it's almost as if he sings while he screams in some songs. Set to Fail is a perfect example of that and even tho he does almost sing he never lets up. In fact his most brutal song vocally in my opinion is Fake Messiah, which is understandable seeing as how the song is basically about an old friend who isnt their friend anymore because of greed. So Randy is understandably pissed in that song.

This album doesn't really compare to that of any other album or artist I have ever heard. Lamb of God strives and succeeds to create their own little niche in the metal world. In fact, it would not surprise me if a new genre of metal came up as LOG Metal. I would have to say the most impressive song on the album is Grace, followed by In Your Words, followed by Reclamation. Grace starts out with a soft, almost flamenco melody that then flawlessly gives way to the most insane riff LOG has ever written. Which is saying something BIG. In Your Words is completely ruthless and in your f***ing face from the first second. Reclamation is a sadly under-rated song by a lot of people. It's a very well written song that starts out with the waves of Virginia beach. Then you hear an acoustic riff that suddenly is taken over by an epic yet still Lamb of God-ish riff. That song is amazingly epic as well as forward-thinking. Not many bands can pull that off but Lamb of God did it flawlessly. I can't say that I hate anything about this album. It has satisfactorily raped all that I know as Metal music and it will do the same to you. And if this album were stolen I would hunt the SOB down and gut them like the pigs they are.