Honeymoon Review

5.9
 4,049
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Honeymoon Reviewed by: Mnstrk, on october 08, 2015

Sound: Alright, first of all. I really liked the use of the strings of the songs, the violins, electric guitars, cellos. The use of the chords, songs like "Freak," "24," "Honeymoon," which all of those play with unusual chord patterns presented in any of her albums, I really enjoyed that. Each end every song is very smooth and soft, it seems like a record with only lullabies. I am not impressed at all, but I liked it. Actually I expected a lot more from the record, so I am not totally pleased.

Also, I have to say this. If you never heard anything of Lana's music you'll have a real difficult time at staying awake while listening to this album. Lana seems totally effortless, kinda like the life and should has been sucked out of this woman, at the point you just can't stand it and you'll want to stop listening. But, not everything is bad, there are songs where Lana seems to sing with more confidence and strength in songs like "Religion," "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (which is a cover of Nina Summer's song I guess), and "The Blackest Day."

The quality of this record is nothing if you compare it to "Ultraviolence," or even "Born to Die," even "Paradisem" like... come on, girl. You can do way better. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics in this record are nothing to be impressed about, I am a fan, but I think Lana should have taken more time on planning this album. I can't really tell if Lana was awake at the moment of recording, like I said, she sounds effortless, boring. You'll see what I'm talking about at the very first song "Honeymoon," also "Music to Watch Boys To," "Art Deco," etc. A lot of the songs are boring and not interesting.

The good things, among the songs I liked, I liked them because of the lyrics, the instrumentals and the voice of Lana. "Salvatore," "Religion" ("...Hallelujah, I need your love." That part is EVERYTHING in the song, I love it.), "24" (which is really boring but I liked the tango vibes from this), "The Blackest Day." Those are by far my favorites.

And about the songs I didn't talked about, sorry, those where really boring. If you have insomnia, or have problems at the time you need to sleep, this album is perfect to get rid of those problems. // 5

Overall Impression: What I am really sure about, is that Lana's music style is unique on nowadays' music, and she's not for everyone, not everyone can understand the meaning of her music but you can always give it a try.

My favorites: "Religion," "Salvatore," "The Blackest Day." The real instruments, the strength in her voice, I love everything about those songs.

My not so favorite ones... Can I say "pretty much the rest?" Most of them are boring. There are a lot of songs that needed more life, more effort so you can feel the meaning but Lana totally wasted those. I seriously (and I mean it) HATE the use of reverb on her voice. Seriously, Lana. You can sing! You don't need that!

I'd suggest you to skip this one, but the final choice is yours and this is only my opinion, I'd like to see and read yours', so leave your comments! // 6

Comments