Handmade Music Review

Genre: Hard Blues Rock
Label: MIG Records
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Handmade Music Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2012

Sound: First song off the Starting Line is "Come Back Home" and talk about a good ol' down and dirty salty-dawg roadhouse blues romp... Well now, its right here... Hot, heavy and dripping off this CD like creamy butter off a hot flapjack. MIG Records and Lance Lopez are proud to announce the release of his new CD "Handmade Music". This fantastic album was produced by Jim Gaines (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Santana). The rocker "Hard Time" is a foot-stomper that will have you bop'n your head from side to side while you get your 'mean lean' on. This muse is a kick in the gut riff-rock special. The song's arrangement, guitar tones and bottom-end remind me allot of Dug Pinnick's Kings X. I love that warm but heavy brown sound Lance gets from his ampage. Maestro Lopez released this fine production to North America on March 6th via MIG Records. I can hear Buddy Guy's influences on this outing too. As I sit here listening to "Let Go", I notice that Lance steps out a little more on his song writing abilities. If you like music from catz like Doyle Bramhall II, then BINGO on this one as with the vibration called "Dream Away"... Very deep indeed. It almost has this old-school New Orleans funeral procession feel to it. It is dark sounding, reflective and blue. // 10

Lyrics: Lance Lopez has this deep raspy gospel-like voice ala brother in music Gregg Allman and he puts it to good use. On the piano driven Detroit rock and roller of a tune called "Get Out And Walk". You really get the feeling of a big live show. The only thing missing on this is Bob Seger, Tina and Ike Turner. "Your Love" is a tight blues shuffle in that good ol' Tejas SRV style. I'm truly digging the the overall clarity and tight production values on this album. The rest of the CD follows in line as with the first half. This is an impressive collection of muddy grooves that displays technical virtuosity, fantastic guitar work, timeless classics, and at moments, blasts from the past. // 10

Overall Impression: Parting Shot across the Bow: If you like blistering lead guitar playing in the styles of the aforementioned names, then by all means get this CD. I highly recommend it. It's very entertaining all the way through. What we have is a classic rock and blues album, in all senses of those words. // 10

Comments