Sovereign Descent review by Landmine Marathon

• Released: Mar 16, 2010
Landmine Marathon: Sovereign Descent

Yawn. A girl fronting a metal band. Snooze. We've seen it. We've heard it. We've bought the t-shirts. It's sooooooo not a new concept in rock music. But rarely, and we do mean rarely, have we heard it done as well as Landmine Marathon frontlady Grace Perry does it. Oftentimes a girl screaming her lungs blood raw in a metal band is not much more than a gimmick, especially if she can't hold her own over the aggressive bluster of the music she is singing atop. Grace Perry is not such a singer. She is backed by some of the most corrosive riffs and she holds her own. Sovereign Descent is not about the singer, though; it's about a cohesive sound, a sound that is unequivoccably enhanced by the singer. Sovereign Descent meshes hardcore, punk and straight up metal sensibilities, with a nastier, gnarlier edge. Make no mistake, though. This is not metalcore. Exist is like Motorhead times ten, with an angrier, more biting punch or even early Sepultura. Label propaganda has compared the band to the early Earache roster and I don't disagree, but I definitely hear shades of a more metalized Motorhead here, in some of those dirty riffs that show up on Foul Revolt. Landmine Marathon are effective in that they are able to mix both old and new schools of metal in a seamless way. There's a death metal vibe woven throughout parts of the record, too. Shadows Fed to Tyrants is another violent blast of metal rage and Cruel Policy begins with an almost doomy intro.

OK, we've already discussed Grace Perry, but what the hell, we can some more! And yes, we professed that continuing to talk about the fact that she is a girl is only serving to call even more attention to that fact. But the point is, she doesn't sound like a chick in any form here. She rivals Kittie's Morgan Lander and Walls of Jericho's Candice Kucsulain as the female force to be reckoned with in metal. If you've ever seen the band live, Grace is no shrinking violet, either. Her live intensity is fully matched on record. She does one thing and one style scream bloody f--king murder- but she does it well and does it over well-constructed metal, which keeps things unpredictable and interesting.

This is the type of unapologetic metal that absolutely scorches the earth with its speed and skill. The more I listen to the steamroller riffs, the more I think pre-Chaos AD Sepultura and even some Chaos AD Sepultura. Regardless, this Arizona band will batter your brain with its non-stop sonic assault. If you feel like you have a concussion after a few listens to Sovereign Descent, it's okay. Don't worry. It's just your skull trying to recover from the attack of Landmine Marathon. I've said this before. Metalheads can be masochists and Landmine Marathon will aid in that delightfully painful pursuit.

kamjam7
    hm i don't like this so far. i love the agonist (no need for bashing), and can listen to arch enemy and kittie, but this one isn't getting to me. maybe in time
    smartassorange
    The music sounds pretty good with this band, but as it goes for girl screamers, she isn't anything to rant and rave about. This band is just alright, nothing to go over the top about.
    fumb duck
    fail. interviewer: *mindless grace perry worship* OKAY now that we've finished talking about grace perry... *mindless grace perry worship* I wonder if there is a band behind the chick.
    stevenpollock
    EpiExplorer wrote: nearly 100% of female orientated bands are gimmicks. They barely have a career of 5 years before stopping all together.
    i hate everyone on the internet.
    kdownes
    I've only ever heard one female fronted heavy metal band that I really liked and that was Luna Mortis. However, I may check these guys out.
    grim1
    I would like most "insert adjective" metal if it weren't for the terrible singing. It is truly atrocious. What ever happened to people that can really sing?
    HoneyofRuin
    UG really needs to use a better reviewer when it comes reviewing metal albums. This "Amy" couldn't efficiently review a metal album if her life depended on it. Really, this review did nothing for me. All I know is that there's a female singer. Big whoop. It's not like this is the first band to ever have a female vocalist. Seriously. And what is this term 'screamy metal'??? I guess I'll go listen to some samples and see what I can make of it considering how awful this review is.
    Amuro Jay
    Time Seller wrote: There's so much hate-voting on UG nowadays
    This, it's really getting old.
    blueboxdoctor wrote: yeah, if you want a female singer and does the screams listen to arch enemy
    Nooooo. They butchered Symphony of Destruction. No forgiveness. Anyway. I will check this out.
    EpiExplorer
    fba217 wrote: if you wanted people to take this review seriously, you shouldn't have talked so much about the female vocalist. also, name drop some better female vocalists in metal like the singers of **** the facts and agoraphobic nosebleed, not kitty. People should also really stop talking about arch enemy too, what a generic mainstream piece of crap band.
    'Zactly.. the vocalist from unexpect is much better than anything these thrashtacular posers. and also:
    Grace Perry is the new first lady of screamy metal. Write that down. She can kick your ass. And shes not some gimmick, either
    fba217
    webbtje
    How are either of those bands 'in your face brutality'? Particularly The Agonist. Bog-standard metalcore.
    blueboxdoctor
    yeah, if you want a female singer and does the screams listen to arch enemy who have substantially better guitarists, or the agonist, cause she does screams and clean vocals, same goes for luna mortis. and there are a lot of good female singers out there, just listen to edenbridge, lunatica, or epica. Especially Epica, their singer puts a lot of others to shame with her voice. You, my friend, need to listen to more diverse music, it's not all about in your face, brutality. But if you're into that then I definitely suggest checking out Arch Enemy or the Agonist.
    MetalBassist777
    Personaly i dont like this band but im not going to bash it with negative comments im a metalhead this just isnt something i likwed but i think they shouldnt compare it to Chaos AD Sepultura but thats opinion say what you want i do not care other than that i hope the band does great in the upcomeing future
    webbtje
    Grace Perry is the new first lady of screamy metal.
    'Screamy metal'? Seriously? Christ. Constantly mentioning the fact that a girl fronts this otherwise rather unremarkable band is not going to make people judge them on their music.
    Lion_Slicer
    As far as girl singers in metal goes, you NEED to check out Dreaming Dead . First of all, they're a great band--they really hit the sweet spot when it comes to not just having cool riffs and melodies, but actually having shitloads of songwriting talent, which is a very underrated skill. Also, the two girls (Elizabeth and Laura iirc) in the band both play guitar very well, and Elizabeth is also the lead singer. She is absolutely amazing, actually having great range to her voice, which I can't say for most death metal singers period. She alternates between a deeper Angela Gossow and late-era Chuck Schuldiner in therms of vocals. I saw them open for Nile, and they ****ing kicked ass. This band sounds promising in the same way, hopefully I can find this album.
    Zekaris
    This review is horrible, it contradicts itself every other sentence... And whats this about Yawn at female metal vocalists? There is a lot that have a lot of skill, much more than what I've seen from this band :x