.neon review by Lantlos

Lantlos: .neon

Firstly, you must be aware that Lantls is not an usual black metal band (as fans mostly label them). Of course, it has double bass, blast beats, acid distorted guitars, high pitched screams, but Lantls goes beyond; You definitely can feel it. The first track, "Minusmensch" (I'm not very sure what that means, but it's german though) includes an amazing slow drum beat, clean bass and guitar... Allright, so far it sounds like just another shoegaze black metal band, right? Right, but soon as Neige (Alcest's vocalist) start singing and Herbst (the one who plays all the instruments in Lantls) get it faster... You see right away they're not just another BM band: Emotional and deep vocals and melody lets you in a comfortable and "odd" state of mind, which actually feels great, and I'd recommend this to every human being in this whole planet. The album .neon is definitely a must have. Neige and Herbst just prove with .neon how brilliant they can be producing together; The songs "These Nights Were Ours" and "Pulse/Surreal" are epic songs, and I haven't seen stuff like this in black metal scene (even in other music categories) since a really long time.

Lyrics talk mostly about love, loss, sadness. In "These Nights Were Ours" you can see what apparently Herbst actually feels, and I must say it fits very well the instrumentals. Neige did a great job with the vocals, both screamed (if I can put that way) and clean (as you can see in Pulse/Surreal).

Personally I don't think .neon can be compared to any other albums, it's an unique masterpiece (although there are many good albums in the same genre out there). The credits goes to "These Nights Were Ours" and "Pulse/Surreal" which definitely touches your heart with such emotional lyrics and melody. This is basically an one man band musical project (Herbst is definitely the master mind behind Lantls) but it can be compared to real bands with 3+ people in it. It's very well produced and both and 'em were great. .Neon is a must have; I could buy thousands of those albums only to prove them how glad I am for such a great album (if I were rich of course, lol).