The Last Temptation Of Reid Review

8.8
 8.9
 8.6
The Last Temptation Of Reid Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2008

Sound: Lard is what happens when Ex-Dead Kennedys and political anti-hero Jello Biafra teams up with members of Ministry. This is real metal. Metal before it got hijacked by the likes of of Metallica and Slipknot. Jello's voice suits the instruments surprisingly well, 'Alien' Jourgensen's guitar riffs are catchier than a man with hooks, Barker's bass adds a tight punk beat and Ward's drums sound like two dustbin lids being hit together. Perfect. It's been produced very well. // 10

Lyrics: Hey. It's Biafra. Every album he does has fantastic lyrics! Almost every song is a huge slap in the face of American politics. Jouregensen adds a bit of flavour now and then but it's mostly Biafra's non-stop addiction to punmping out lyrically powerful songs. His best collection of songs since the monster 'Power of Lard'. // 10

Overall Impression: The Last Temptation Of Reid towers above all Lard albums simply because it is what Lard are all about: harsh, heavy and in your face. Don't get me wrong, 'Pure Chewing Satisfaction' is a must buy album as well, but P.C.S somehow leaves you feeling cold. The Last Temptation of Reid isn't so. The best songs on the album are: Mate Spawn And Die - Ward and Rieflin both drum in a song that sounds like it was recorded in a washing machine. Biafra's voice sounds at it's most flexible. Drug Raid At 4 Am - cops shouting into bullhorns, people screaming, people being told about drugs, scraping guitars, Biafra's high pitched shouting and one hell of a sweet riff amount to one of Lard's greatest sounding songs. Bozo Skeleton - has one of the sexiest bass riffs ever. An attack on American censorship. I Am Your Clock - a nightmare. More spoken-word than metal really. The vocals sound like a demon bellowing at you from hell. Despite being very long, you can sit and listen to it again and again. But it's unfair to name the best songs because the whole album is a gem! Sylvestre Matuschka is cold and hints towards 'Pure Chewing Satisfaction' but you can listen to it just to frighten yourself. I couldn't live if this album or any Lard album was taken away from me. // 10

The Last Temptation Of Reid Reviewed by: MurderJunkie93, on march 22, 2011

Sound: This is Lard's first full length album and probably their best/most popular. The band have a really fresh sound on this album, expanding a lot from the Power Of Lard EP. The album has a strong industrial sound, reflecting the Ministry side of the band while Jello adds his lyrics and vocal charisma to the mix, changing it into something new and fresh, the album doesn't really have any bad tracks although some listeners will only be able to get into the "normal" songs like Forkboy, as the album gets more twisted as it progresses. I personally only originally liked about half the album when I first listened to it but by about the 3rd listen or so I enjoyed everything and can listen to the album back to back, its just one of those albums that you need to adjust to really appreciate it fully. The overall feel of the album is fresh and interesting, a good twist of punk and industrial. All the riffs are great and the drumming has a really good industrial sound. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are typical Jello Biafra. War on drugs etc. One thing I do like about his albums is he always includes the lyrics in the CD booklet so you can read them, there are some funny lyrics in there, but as always they are witty and truthful as well, which Jello always does. If you are a fan of Jello Biafra you will know what to expect and will like the lyrics, others may think the lyrics are a bit weird but other than that the lyrics are great, classic Jello. He puts on his best performance on this album, anyone who thinks it was over when The Dead Kennedys split up are very mistaken, probably Jello's best side project since DK broke up. Overall the lyrics are very clever and precise, especially in Drug Raid At 4AM and I Am Your Clock. The dark lyrics also fit in well with everything else. // 8

Overall Impression: This band is much different from any other industrial band just because it has Jello in it. These guys probably beat most other industrial bands other than a few like Ministry (which half the members of Lard are from anyway). There arent really any "best" songs as pretty much the whole album is good, The only song which is not as good as the rest is "Can God Fill Teeth?" Also the cover of "They're coming to take me Away" can sometimes get a bit boring as well as "I Am Your Clock". This album has great artwork, great music, and great lyrics, I reccommend it to any Jello Biafra, Ministry or industrial fan. If this album were to be stolen or lost I would definitely replace it. Overall good album. Solid performance. // 7

Comments