Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards review by Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards

• Released: Mar 20, 2001
Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards: Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards

This band was stared by Lars Frederiksen from Rancid, its his side project. This album sounds like it came out of the 1980s. It's the closest to old school punk rock that you will find. In fact, when I first heard a few of these songs I thought it was from an older band. Unlike most old school punk albums from the Misfits or GG Allin, the recording quality is grade A. It's amazing to think that someone is keeping true punk alive.

I like the lyrics but thats not to say they're great. Mostly they're about his youth in Campbell, Ca. A few songs are politcal but not as in-your-face as the Dead Kennedys. I don't think he was writing this album to change the world, just to make one of the best punk albums since the late 80s. They're pretty harsh, but far from GG Allin. Lars's singing is great. He has a rough voice w/melody. The bastards also know how to use two singers very well.

Like I said before, this album sounds like it's straight out of the punk era. If you love punk, you will love this album. Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards are keeping punk alive in the new century. I don't own any Rancid albums, but I'd say that Lars's side project is very different from Rancid, so don't shy away if you're not a fan of Rancid. My favorite songs on the album would be Wine And Roses, Vietnam and To Have And To Have Not (cover of Billy Bragg). Just to make sure it can't get stolen I made a copy of it and downloaded the songs to my harddrive.

turbopunk2000
    Powerful album, lars is a more guitar riff driven band than rancid. alot of rancid songs are driven by the bass, which I think is cool. Oh yeah, Rancid pwns!