Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards review by Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards

• Released: Mar 20, 2001
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards: Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards

The music involved in this album is rather simple and there isn't much complexity about it. However some songs are great songs to just blare out on your speakers. Most of the songs are about Lars and his friend's childhood in Campbell California. As you go further into the album you find that a lot of the songs do sound the same, but they half forgive themselves with "Skunx" and "Vietnam" at the end to leave you. The album starts with a bizzare 13 second introduction with the "Unknown Bastard" yelling out which even though sends a message of how tough The Bastards are it is rather pointless.

The lyrics in this song are nothing special although it is pretty clever how most of the songs are about the same theme yet come out in different differently. In some of the songs the lyrics are either repetitive or pointless, such as "Dead American" and "Vietnam" but both of them are still good songs. In fact they are one of my favourites of the album.

Lars did a good job on this album but Rancid are definitely the better band in this case. I wasn't so much impressed by any of the songs, but I did enjoy listening to it. It's funny, there are quite a few bad points to the album. But overall I still think it is a ripper. I love Lars and his voice in this album, it really suits the theme of growing up in Campbell, CA. If I lost this album? I would buy there other release "Viking" and see which is the better of the two, and depending on the result, would probably buy this one soon after.

rocknrollreject
    turbopunk2000 wrote: Powerful album, lars is a more guitar riff driven band than rancid. alot of rancid songs are driven by the bass, which I think is cool. Oh yeah, Rancid pwns!
    yeah rancid is more reggae and lars is more rock i just got tim armstrongs new cd it more reggae than rock its all cool though