Chomp review by The Latency

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
The Latency: Chomp

The Latency is a new(ish) band from British Columbia, Canada. The band had been playing together for a while, when they hooked up with Tommy Mac of Hedley to produce this EP. With 6 songs sometimes you may think you don't get a full taste of the band. You couldn't be more wrong. There's something about the way this band writes and works that really works. With amazing harmonies, and intricate bass and guitar lines balanced well by likeminded drums. The band show skills that people usually wouldn't expect from such young kids (young as in they graduated from high school in 2008). The way songs are arranged amazes me. Now, the lyrics are the main reason this band was able to put out an EP. Lead singer Brandon Lehti was in a creative writing class of sorts, and Hedley bassist Tommy Mac was asked to come and speak to the class. Brandon jumped on this opportunity and showed Tommy his lyrics, which Tommy liked so much, he agreed to come watch the band play, and in turn, decided to produce an EP with them. For people who look for genres before listening to the music I have to say The Latency is your general Punk Rock band, who try hard to write good music, but have fun doing it. There is a little bit of screaming, but nothing compared to things like Underoath or Alexisonfire, so if you don't like that you're fine.

The lyrics in this EP may seem cliche at times, but turn out to be the right words for the song, clich or not. The band also got to re-work lyrics on some of the songs with Jacob Hoggard (of Canadian Idol fame, but more importantly, Hedley fame), due to Tommy Mac producing this EP I'm guessing. The lyrics work so well with the songs, and especially in the way they're sung, with intricate harmonies and all that jazz, no jazz in the record. Brandon Lehti is an amazing lyricist, and an amazing singer, his voice is hardly edited, and you can tell by listening to live videos. The rest of the band (Mathew Gendron, Ryan Stead and Jonny Wiebe) are amazing back-up vocalists too.

I think this band may will be the next big thing in Canadian music. These songs stick to you in so many ways, be it lyrically, emotionally, or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure if I can tell you what my favorite song is, but I'd probably have to say Can You Hear Me Call?, Breathe, or Kids. This may very well be my new favorite band, combining everything I like in music, I strongly recommend it.