Calm Before The Storm review by Lauren Harris

• Released: Jun 23, 2008
Lauren Harris: Calm Before The Storm

Her name might seem familiar to you -- Lauren Harris. Harris... ah yeah -- Steve Harris! Please meet, the new rock project headed by the daughter of a rock legend -- the founder of Iron Maiden. With the first chords of Lauren Harris' debut album Calm Before the Storm you think -- this is it! Finally, classic rock with great female vocals! But this euphoria doesn't last long -- after the opening track Steal Your Fire you realize there's something wrong... The second track, major and upbeat Your Turn, gives you a better idea of what's going on. Most of the songs could make a happy soundtrack to a teenage comedy -- take for example Get Over It or Hit Or Miss. Get Over It even reminds Avril Lavigne - sometimes it seems Harris is copying her voice. Not that it's the worst comparison in the world, but you would expect something more original from the daughter of a rock legend. From The Bottom To The Top is one of the few good tracks on the album. It is melodic and very emotional with beautiful wide choruses. Lauren is backed by some really good and professional musicians. Everything is played top notch and almost every song features a stellar guitar solo from Richie Faulkner. The tracks are catchy and radio-friendly -- for sure the people who wrote them knew what they were doing! Even though all the songs are pretty well-written, there's no really strong hit and the album doesn't make a great impression. All tracks sound a bit the same as they follow a similar structure.

The poetry is so plain and embarrassing that it gets ridiculous at times, especially the serious attitude she's singing something like You said you like me but when you met her / She's was perfectly sweet and you liked her better with. Or She's either hit or miss, but she's got it right / Protected by her innocence she's out of sight. Very weak lyrics. Lauren's got the real rock voice -- something reminiscent of Joan Jett. It is deep, low and strong -- a perfect fit for this type of music. In spite of the simple song structures she managed to show the potential of her voice. Tracks like From The Bottom To The Top showcase the wide diapason that she's capable to sing.

Following the traditions of her dad, Lauren is probably the last person on earth wearing black leather pants. Just as these pants, her music is a bit stale - it's that good ol' pop-rock that was so popular in late '90s. Though for the opening act of Iron Maiden, which she's currently busy with, her music is quite good. Parents' support is a very important thing! The album is very well-written and produced; all the songs are composed following the rules of how to write a hit. It's all so clear and nice that you want Lauren to do at least something wrong. The commercial part of the project is a bit bigger than you would want it to be. The songs are balancing between pop and rock and too often lean to pop side. Such a waste for such a good voice! Diagnosis: good performance, bad songs.

djjiles
    Hmm first? (who cares?) I really do like Maiden better. Lauren is just not my type of music.
    Golem29
    The rating and the review don't seem to match up, a 7 is a little high seeing as the songs were described as "bad".
    johnkrux
    i saw her at MSG and i thought she was pretty damn good ... i think everyone should check her out cause shes def got something good going for her... woozyfly.com/buckshotsbonanza --- interview with which i thought was pretty cool
    nezv6
    I saw her open for maiden last night. She wasent that bad, not great but not bad. The guitarist was good, and shes a good enough singer, but her sngs are just a bit.....meh. I felt kinda sorry for her though, she asked if anyone had bought her album, only to hear the entire stadium shout with one voice - NO!
    Ironpriest
    Ironpriest
    I saw them open for maiden in melbourne. I thought they did there job as opening band justice, better than the wannabe prog band that followed. Plus I got the bassist's (who looks like Nikki Sixx) guitar pick!!! Iron Maiden ruled though, best concert, and im seeing Judas Priest in Sep
    GuitarAustin95
    woah shit im not the only one who thought their guitarist sounded like zakk wylde and looked like him. I dn the band was just meh,, iron maiden kicked ass though, great concert.
    David_Bowie=GOD
    djjiles wrote: She's not that bad....but a terrible choice for an Iron Maiden support act. It's like having Ashlee Simpson open for Led Zeppelin.
    Shed probably lipsync then proceed to doin some dumbass dance, then blame it on a cold. In all honesty though she has a great voice and I think she could go far by herself, she just needs to write some better music. I think most people just give her a hard time because they are expecting it to sound like Maiden. If you dont expect that then you wont be as disapointed.
    Menza_
    The Guitar Player is awesome he reminded me of a very Young Zakk Wylde
    selina82
    2nd i seen her live when maiden came to perth, shes shithouse and the guitarist sounds to much like zakk wylde.
    Coulterboyz
    kleifheit13 wrote: why are you guys pickin her apart? shes a great singer and lyrics really shouldnt matter cuz its the music that counts
    Ummmmm... Does anyone else see the problem in his arguement? THE LYRICS ARE PART OF THE MUSIC!!! lol So ya if the lyrics suck it makes it that much harder to listen to the songs.
    captainoid
    But the quality of the lyrics rather overshadows the musicianship, especially those "stellar solos" *rolls eyes*.
    death_rider
    I saw her when she opened for Iron Maiden, she sucks so ****ing much, there is nothing to her music, there couldn't of been a worse opening band. The drummer is a ****ing fag and the guitarist is a Zakk Wylde wanna be.
    kleifheit13
    korinaflyingv
    that i would LOVE to see
    djjiles
    DJ_Inferno2000
    hahah she opened in india for iron maiden... and she said "india, let me see your hands!" and up went 60,000 middle fingers... i'm sorry but her concert sucked here
    ed_the_head
    i think that Richie Faulkner is great guitar player stuck in a limited band. i mean, Lauren Harris has pretty good voice, but that's it. IMO Steal Your Fire is good song (but it's a cover) they don't write their own music, as long as i'm concerned that's a bad thing. i probably would'n pay much attention to this album but i had a chance to see them live in Split, Croatia when they were opening for Iron Maiden. they weren't bad, but i'm not too impressed