The Onslaught review by Lazarus A.D.

Lazarus A.D.: The Onslaught

Thrash is back! In the band's debut album, The Onslaught, Lazarus A.D. combines the sound of new metal (not nu metal) with sound of old school thrash. The shredding is superb, and the riffs will get you hooked the first time. The band's obvious influences include Slayer, Metallica, Testament, and Exodus. Some of the solo's sound like Kirk Hammett wrote them. The only problem I have with the album is that the songs kind of bleed together too much, but overall this is the thrash revival at its finest.

The lyrics of course incorporate the usual thrash themes, blood, guts, war, and punishment. The lyrics also go into love (in the song Lust) and inner struggles (in the song Who I really Am). The lyrics really fit well in with the music. Personally I think that the singing is superb. The bassist is the lead vocalist (future Tom Araya anyone? ) while the lead guitarist comes in sometimes with backing vocals. The vocalists sound drastically different from each other which just adds to the experience. The vocals sound like a mixture of Slayer and Testament so you know that it will sound awesome.

Lazarus A.D. will soon be fronting the New Wave of Thrash Metal (NWOTM), along with the likes of Evile and Municipal Waste. My favorite songs from this album are Thou Shall Not Fear, Damnation for the Weak, Revolution, and Forged in Blood, but there are no "weak" songs on this album. Overall this is a great album. If I lost it, then I would definitely buy it again. Lazarus A.D. truly upholds their motto, "THRASH OR DIE!"

shmbluh12
    GenerationKILL
    I just got this album, these guys have definetely upped the ante for thrash, the intensity on this DEBUT album is amazing, and its easily comparable to classic testament or maybe even surpasses it. The riffs from the song "last breath" are awesome, and stick in your head like a ****in knife. My only complaint was that the songs on this album didn't have enough variety, but its not a big deal... Kill 'em all sounded mostly the same, that band only branched out on their later albums, i look forward to hearing new stuff from these guys and seeing where they progress!!! PS: the drummer has some of the best chops i've ever heard!
    Nocturne12
    Saw them play with Bison BC a while back. Bison was selling vinyl - Lazarus was selling women's underwear... kind of sums up the difference between the two right there. They were alright, but they had a really cheesy live act.
    BurningEarth23
    Love the album, the band's from near my hometown sort of, even though they're from a different state (figure that one out ha) but the riffs are solid as heck, vocals are classic thrash, and the compositions are a great mix of old school and new school, so definitely check this one out
    Eminored
    I hung out with them at their record release party (Live in the same city as them) great people, and an alright thrash album. The mixing is so much better on the re-release it's almost unbelievable.
    Religulous
    Wow, I have heard 2 songs by them.. the music videos... and it's amazing. I seriously need to pick this album up.. I know i'm already a fan, lol. Yes... The singer does look similar to Dimebag Darrell... hehe.. but the drummer is pretty damn good!
    sdmfmann
    love this band. i never heard of them until i saw them open for amon amarth. most definitely pick it up if you're in to thrash
    Scottzar
    I saw them live with Testament, awesome show! After the show, I bought The Onslaught, met the band, and they all signed it for me! Coolest thing I've done in a long time.
    svelle
    shmbluh12 wrote: @Svelle They released their first album without a label first and re-released it after they signed a real record deal, as far as I know.
    ahh good to know, thanks. Great album by the way, don't really dig the lyrics but the guitars definately outweight it.
    Lohnanmilitia
    Great band, I'm surprised this is only getting reviewed now. I made sure I got a copy when it was released. Superb job they did.
    ktulu51
    I saw these guys with Testament and Unearth. I didn't give them a chance before the show but they actually are good. Id definitely recommend it.
    svelle
    Am i stupid or is there an older version of this disc from like 2007?
    CptRevell
    I see this in the CD store a good bit. Always wondered what they sounded like.
    devilex121
    hmm... curious to see i'm the first to comment... :S these guys are a talented bunch...i suggest anyone whos a thrashhead to listen to this album... (its not for the average listener though XD)
    jofx1992
    svelle wrote: Am i stupid or is there an older version of this disc from like 2007?
    not stupid