The Onslaught review by Lazarus A.D.

Lazarus A.D.: The Onslaught

My first impression of this band was on the song "Revolution". This song would remain in my opinion Lazarus' equivalent of "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. This song and this album is riff after riff and is a heavenly seamless approach towards a lost genre. The bridge in "Revolution" is a fire storm of riffs accompanied by one of the best metal solos I have heard in a long time. The drumming is perfect for the genre and adds a tiny bit of creativity needed to make this music diverse from most "Nu-thrash". The guitar playing is brilliant regarding riffs and solos. This album is simply a thrash classic and an awesome throwback.

Typical for any thrash band. Politics, rebellion, and violent themes. The lyric, however, flow quite nicely with the tunes. Lead guitarist Dan Gapen's line "Three to live, one to kill, we've got body bags to fill" is clever and spits out with enthusiasm and left me singing it over and over again in my head. Themes such as this one can be found throughout the album. As for the vocals some people may find lead singer Jeff Paulicks' vocals to be repetitive and strange but do fit the thrash subgenre quite nicely. Dan Gapen's back up vocals are a great change in pace for the vocals on this album providing more of the "cleaner" vocals sounding like Matt Barlow on steroids (without the falsetto). Overall the vocal are a solid 8.

Basically it stands out amongst most newer thrash bands and this album has gained much attention for being the best thing to happen to thrash in a long time. "Last Breath", "Revolution", "Who I Really Am", "Absolute Power" and "Thou Shall Not Fear" are stand out tracks in this speedy triumph that simply bombards you with pure rootsy thrash metal. You will not be dissapointed if you like thrash.