BBC Sessions review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions

Led Zeppelin was one of the most poignant and powerful bands ever. This album lyrically and musically captures this, and in many areas, exceeds what we have come to expect from LZ. The production quality is incredible for a live album, and every nuance in the sound can be clearly heard. Robert Plant sounds amazing, his lyrics are always right there, they never really waver. Jimmy Page is my all time favorite guitarist, and his performance on this album are amazing. The extended version of "Dazed And Confused," "Stairway To Heaven," and "Thank You" are standouts of his talents. John Paul Jones is an amazing bassist and keyboardist, and his performance on this album is up to the standards set by the other three band members. Last and certainly not least is John Bonham, his drumming is of epic proportions on this album, and it keeps the songs flowing, and right on course!

Because this album is them performing their hit tracks live, the lyrics are of course superb. Robert Plant has an extremely unique sound, one that defines Zepp as soon as you hear it, and this album is no different. He never really seems to be lost or off key. Overall, a defining moment lyrically for Zeppelin.

This album has been bootlegged many times, and I have heard them, and the remastering Jimmy has done on BBC Sessions renders all the bootlegs completely obsolete and outdated. The sound quality is no comparison. The great thing about this album is that you get to see Zepp at its best, when it is moving and experimenting. There are multiple versions of songs, such as "Communication Breakdown," and "Dazed And Confused." The Multiple versions show how the experimentation of Zeppelin matured and focused their music. There are also some previously unreleased songs on this, such as "Travelling Riverside Blues." This album is so incredible, and makes me yearn for a time machine, so I can go back and see Zeppelin at the height of their popularity. This album is amazing, and more than worth the $20 or so that you will have to pay.