BBC Sessions review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions

It was a shame that this album was released in 1997, because I'd would have liked to have heard it sooner. Robert Plant's vocals are really pounding and booming, not to mention he had a great blues voice too. It's really interesting of how songs like "Thank You" and "Heartbreaker" were somewhat different than Led Zeppelin's original recordings. Jimmy's guitar playing was so much better in this album compared to the In Through The Out Door CD, and John Paul Jones along with John Bonham provide a steady backbone for the band. I'd like to see some video footage of this album.

Although Robert Plant has a raucous and booming voice, his lyrics could have been better. When Led Zeppelin first came out with their debut album, Plant based his lyrics mostly on women and sexual themes, and this is no acception. It's not that it is unpleasant to hear, it's just that it gets boring after a while. I personally would like to hear some more meaningful lyrics in this album.

Any Led Zeppelin fan that does not have this 2-disc set album needs to get it. I personally think the true fan should have a look at this. The album also has unreleased material in it, and it is very intersting to hear. If this was stolen, I would personally hunt down the guy who took it. The bottom line is: if you liked the Led Zeppelin that was hard-core blues, buy this album.