BBC Sessions review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions

Pretty bluesy for Zeppelin. Page has great solos throughout. Plant sounds pretty similar to how he does on record. Bonham doesn't appeared to be featured as much. It's that same bluesy, crunchy rock sound that Zeppelin is known for. Only in the longer versions of "Whole Lotta Love" and "Dazed and Confused" do you get their "weirder" kind of sound that they are also known for.

It's Zeppelin. If your a fan of their lyrics, it's not going to change due to the fact that they are live. I personally love Zeppelin's lyrics though due to the choice of the songs, they might not be quite as mythical as other zeppelin records. Plant is amazing as always.

Very patchwork-like. The songs don't really fit together in any kind of order and most of the performances are overshadowed by other albums (Dazed and Confused, Since I've Been Loving You). Personally, though I do enjoy this album, I would never choose it as a live album over "How the West was Won" or "The Song Remains the Same". Still, it's Zeppelin, and Zeppelin rarely fails to be great(especially in the early seventies). The performance of "Thank You" includes one of the greatest guitar solos of all time, and the versions of "Traveling Riverside Blues" and both versions of "Communication Breakdown" are nothing to scoff at. I'd say that this album is a good buy for someone who is already an experienced Zeppelin listener, but doesn't hold together as an album as well as other Zeppelin does. Probably not a great album to be introduced to the greatness that is Zeppelin.