Houses of the Holy review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Mar 28, 1973
Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy

I love Led Zeppelin and their sound on this album is amazing. The album opens with "The Song Remains The Same," which was an instrumental until Robert Plant added the lyrics. The next and possibly greatest Zeppelin song is "The Rain Song." It is the most gorgeous song in the history of Zeppelin songs. I personally think that no song can compare with it, but many others beg to differ. There are other great songs on this album. For instance, there's "No Quarter," which is just weird. Plant's vocals sound like somethink you'd hear in a twisted nightmare, but it's still a really good song. "D'Yer Mak'er" is a Zeppelin version of reggae. They are able to pull it off, but I don't really care for the song itself. Led Zeppelin were able to write some of the best song for this album, and the sound is great.

Some songs on this album, "The Rain Song" for example, didn't have lyrics until Plant put them. I would much rather hear these songs without Plant singing, but that doesn't make them any less great just because he sang. Don't get me wrong, Plant is a great vocalist and lyricist, but some his lyrics on this album are unnecessary. Now other songs, like "No Quarter," are made better because of his singing. I personally think that his lyrics make some of the songs better, but just that depends on who you are. Plant wrote some deep, thought provoking lyrics. The only problem is lyrics are great when they fit, but otherwise, are just there because Plant wanted them in.

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, and "Houses Of The Holy" is one of my favorite albums. The greatest song and possibly greatest Zeppelin song on this album is "The Rain Song." The only thing I have to complain about this album is Plant's lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I love Plant's voice, but sometimes on this album, the lyrics aren't necessary. Other than that, this album is a classic. The music alone is mindblowing. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant come together again to make "Houses Of The Holy" one of the greatest album of the classic rock era.

Ernie Ball
    I don't know why so many people think this album is good. I'm a huge Led Zep fan, but this by far there shittest album, I've listened to it a good few times but I just can't get into it. Although there are some good songs on it e.g. The Ocean, No Quarter and Over The Hills And Far Away, the rest in my opinion is kinda crappy, but at least they had the balls to take a risk and do something different that's what makes them such a great band.
    Garf72
    Even though you made that comment over 2 months ago, i order you yo take it back immedietly! It is the best Led Zep album imo but not the most accessable, which is fair enough. Saying it's their shittest just isn't right, there is no thing as a shit Led Zeppelin album.
    notoriousnumber
    This album is one of my favorite Led ones. It has a very diverse music theme, and with their amazing ability to play their instruments this album really does shine. My favorite is The Song remains the same.