Houses of the Holy review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Mar 28, 1973
Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy

I remember when I got my first Zeppelin cd, IV, and remember saying, man, this bands good. From there I bought I, II, III, but then I came across a CD called Houses of the Holy. My dad had always told me it was the best, but I had to hear it to beleive it. As soon as I put it in and heard Jimmy Page's 12 string in The Song Remains the Same blaring out chords, I was mezmerized. I was wandering, how could someone write riffs like that.I thought they were gods. From TSRTS to The Ocean, every song is amazing. People always think IV is the best because of Stairway, but I think it is hyped way too much and that this one is the best Zeppelin, and maybe the best CD I have ever heard in my life. The sound is great. Jimmy uses like 5 guitars every song, and you can tell. There is the sound of guitars everywhere. Everything else sounds good too. The bass and drums are crazy as always from John Paul Jones and Bonzo. The vocals are well different. They make Robert's voice really high pitched on some parts, but I think it supports the sound.

The lyrics are pretty good, what is expected from Zeppelin. Roberts voice is really high on this CD though. It is good in some parts, but bad in others. what's really wierd is that this is the only Zeppelin that comes with the lyrics to every song. I guess it's because you can't understand his voice because of all the guitar tracks. Plus, they still have the infamous lyrics in the ocean where it says a bunch of random stuff in the book, but says something different in the song. Sumed up, the vocals are usual Zeppelin. It is probably the only problem I have, but that's not going to stop me from giving it a 10.

Compared to the rest of the Zeppelin, I think it is great. It has the sound of the past cds, but the technique of the latter ones.It really has it's shine in songs like No Quarter, Dyer Maker, and The Rain Song. If someone stole this CD from me, I would go buy a hundred copoies, so if it gets stolen again, I have 99 copies left.

sbauer187
    The Ocean and Over the Hills and Far Away are 2 of my personal faves from zeppelin, great album, great band
    will-loves-zep
    get down with this funky shit (i love this album) 'The song remains the same' is a masterpiece as is the ocean (my fav zep song, who am i kidding, i love all of their songs,) the greatest band ever