How The West Was Won review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: May 27, 2003
Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won

Of course, Jimmy Page is an amazing guitarist, and John Paul Jones and John Bonham both excel at their bass and drums, respectively. The improvisation and solos on this record are the stuff of legend. Zeppelin in reality is so much better than Zeppelin on a studio album, this album kills all other Led Zep albums I have heard. And remember, I am the guy who is being harsh on the records I review to even out the reviews section of this site. At three discs, there's a lot of stuff here. My one complaint is that John Bonham's extended drum solo cries "seventies and on a lot of drugs all the time" and will not keep your attention. The sound on this album is amazing.

Robert Plant is overrated. Granted, he is very good, but not as good as everyone gives him credit for. His lyrics aren't as deep and meaningful, for the most part, as everyone gives him credit for. That said, he blows quite a few other rock singers out of the water. He is talented, and this album shows that his voice was good in real life as it was in the studio. Great, great stuff, but not extraordinary as everyone seems to believe.

In my opinion, this is the best Zeppelin release ever because it shows their hearts and souls, and not just what they wanted committed to tape. They rock out on "What is and whart should never be", and they make "dancing days" tolerable. I hate John Bohnam's extended drum solo and the way-too-long orgasmic "Dazed and Confused" but if it were lost I would go out and buy it again. Zeppelin fans, your collection is not complete without this record. Kudos to Jimmy Page for putting this thing together so masterfully.