How The West Was Won review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: May 27, 2003
Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won

After hearing some Led songs a few times, I decided to go out on a limb and buy this album to see if I'd like it. I honestly didn't know it was live until I heard it- and if you took out the crowd noise, I wouldn't know that it WAS live. Robert Plant is an amazing singer, he can hit high and low notes and go from one to the other with incredible precision. John Bonham goes insane on a 15-minute version of Moby Dick, showing off his fantastic drumming skills. Jimmy Page is, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist ever (everybody tells me that's Hendrix, but I haven't heard enough of him to tell). I can't tell you how good the guitar on this CD sounds. I don't know the bassist's name, but whoever he is has some serious skills. And unlike a lot of new rock and metal, you can actually HEAR the bass throughout most of the songs very clearly- which is a good thing, since the bass is just as fast and pounding as the guitar. You've got everything you'd ever want-great singing, incredible guitar playing, fast drums, and a sweet bass.

Alright, so 99.9% of the songs are about love/sex/girls. But isn't that the point of Led Zeppelin? They can sing love songs that are more "hardcore" than anything I've heard in the last 20 years (of music...I'm not that old). Led's best song (in my opinion), the Ocean, isn't even about love- and neither is Stairway to Heaven, which I don't particularly care for but everbody else loves.

Having never heard a "real" studio Zeppelin album, I'm almost afraid to buy one for fear of being disappointed. The top songs are: Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Heartbreaker, Going to California, Over the Hills and Far Away, Whole Lotta Love, The Ocean, and Bring It On Home. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it again...the price tag is pretty high, but you're paying for what is, in my opinion, one of the best albums I've ever heard.