How The West Was Won review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: May 27, 2003
Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won

From the one note intro, LA Drone, to the final track, Bring It On Home, the sound is impeccable. Jimmy Page has always outdone himself when producing albums and remastering old ones, which is evident from his great work on the sound of this album. This of course, is a live album and the atmosphere is bloody awesome. The album was recorded in two shows on the 25th June 1972, Long Beach Arena and 27th June 1972, LA Forum. There is three CD's in this album: CD 1: 00. La Drone 01. Immigrant Song 02. Heartbreaker 03. Black Dog 04. Over The Hills And Far Away 05. Since I've Been Lovin' You 06. Stairway To Heaven 07. Going To California 08. That's The Way 09. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp CD 2: 00. Dazed And Confused 01. What Is And Should Never Be 02. Dancing Days 03. Moby Dick CD 3: 00. Whole Lotta Love 01. Rock And Roll 02. The Ocean 03. Bring It On Home The reason there is so little songs on each disc is because the tracks are so long. Immigrant Song is the shortest at 3:42 (Jimmy throws in a mad solo). Dazed And Confused (25:23) and Whole Lotta Love (23:08) are the longest songs with excerpts from other songs thrown in. John Bonham also does a 17 min on Moby Dick and the finale is almost 10 mins long. The band play every note right it seems and they do a great three-song acoustic set at the end of the first disc.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are surely the greatest songwriters in the world and the songs here showcase their great innovation, originality and creativity. Pages soulful voice is in full swing on the album and he makes great vocal breaks on songs such as Staiway To Heaven, Dazed And Confused and Whole Lotta Love. During Dazed And Confused, Jimmy whips out his violin bow and Robert turns on to spooky-voice-mode and at somes points you can't tell the difference between guitar and voice, pure class.

Out of the other live albums and DVD's by Zeppelin, BBC Sessions, The Song Remains The Same and the Led Zeppelin DVD, this is my favourite one. All the classics from Zep's first five albums are on it: Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Lovin' You, Stairway To Heaven, What Is And Should Never Be, Whole Lotta Love, The Ocean and Rock & Roll to name but a few. The only thing I dislike about the album is the 20 min songs; they're too god damn long! That is really the only thing I can criticise this album for. There is great solo's in the songs, most notably Heartbreaker and Since I've Been Lovin' You. There's too many other golden moments to mention here from the album, so buy it right now and experience them. RIP John Henry Bonham, you served you country well. Led Zeppelin are the best!