How The West Was Won review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: May 27, 2003
Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won

Okay, everyone knows that Led Zeppelin has a killer sound, but do they show it in this album. For the most part, yes. Even though this album came out in '03, the concert was in '72. The CD makes it look like one big concert, but it is really two seperate concerts mixed in one. The concerts took place at the Long Beach Arena and the LA Forum in California. There are 3 CD's, some better than others, but most of them have a good song on them.

The Lyrics are good Rock lyrics. And anyone who says that Zeppelin is a Metal band is an idiot. Although he is no Bob Dylan, Robert Plant was and still is a good lyricist and songwriter. Most of the songs on this album are what is called electrifying. They do an especially good job on "Immigrant Song", "Heartbreaker", and "Black Dog". The first disc is probably the best disc, with "Immigrant Song", "Heartbreaker", "Black Dog", "Over The Hills And Far Away", "Since I've Been Loving You", "Stairway To Heaven" and "Going To California". Although I'm not a fan of "That's The Way", and "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp", I still think that they are good performances and most people will like them. "Stairway To Heaven" is good, but not nearly as good as the version at Madison Square Garden. The second disc is a letdown. "Dazed And Confused" is way to long, going over 25 minutes, and it is medley, also containing "Walter's Walk" and "The Crunge". You will notice that these songs aren't played on the radio as much as the others, and that's because they aren't that great. It might have been a good medley if they played more popular songs but they didn't. "What Is And What Should Never Be" is very good, and the highlight of the 2nd CD. "Dancing Days" is just like the original, only more harder, which is a good thing. Next is "Moby Dick". John Bonham got what he wanted, a 17-minute Drum solo, but the listeners didn't get what they wanted, excitement. Drummers might find this song to be interesting to listen to, but 17 minutes of pure drumming is about 15 minutes too long for me. Last is the 3rd disc. "Whole Lotta' Love", another Zeppelin classic made the same mistake as "Dazed And Confused" with a medley of unpopular songs like "Boogie Chillum", "Let's Have A Party", "Hello Marylou" and "Going Down Slow". Have you heard of the first three?... me neither. I will admit the do a good version of "Going Down Slow", but it doesn't measure up to legendary guitarist, Duane Allman's version. After that comes "Rock And Roll", where John Bonham shines with his drum solo. Although I was disappointed with the climax of Jimmy Page's solo, where it sounds like he screwed up, this is still one of the best live versions and the highlight of the 3rd disc. "The Ocean" and "Bring It On Home" are excellent and a good way to end the CD.

Overall, this is a pretty good album with a few boring parts, but I'm glad I bought it. This album still isn't quite as good as George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh, and The Allman Brothers Band's legendary Live At Fillmore East album, but it is still good. The 1st disc is mainly for people who like Led Zeppelin, and the 2nd and 3rd are only for the die-hard Zep fans. But if you want a good live album by Led Zeppelin, then this is probably your best choice, because all that is left is the bbc sessions, which sounds just slightly different from the studio version, and the overrated Song Remains The Same album.

70'sdude
    I really like how they run the songs together, so it all sounds like one live show instead of a bunch of different songs from two shows
    KingABX345
    Led Zeppelin is amazing but they arin' the gods of rock METALLICA is the GOD of ROCK!!!!! Dazed and cnfused would hae to be my favorte song or mayb going to california
    Matt Montoya
    Metallica? Bull****. Also, learn how to spell
    Dave_young
    lots of different types of rock if u didnt realise... metallica r the kings of thrash!!! but zep r the kings of 70s hard rock, no doubt. classic album - buy it NOW!!!