In Through The Out Door review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Jan 1, 1979
Led Zeppelin: In Through The Out Door

The sound category of a Led Zeppelin album will never get below a five as far as I am concerned. No matter what kind of music they play, the sound is exceptional. On In Through The Out Door, their sound takes a turn that is distinctively towards pop. This is by far their softest album. In fact, it is the only album in which Jimmy Page does not receive song writing credit on a few of the songs. Jimmy and John Bonham viewed this album as too soft for Led Zeppelin. Their next album would have been heavier, but in one of the greatest misfortunes in rock history, John Bonham was found dead before its completion. In Through the Out Door is the most interesting of Zep's albums. The track "Hot Dog" shows how far away from their roots Led went in the making of this album. However, two songs stand out in this collection. "Fool In The Rain" and "All My Love" show that Led Zeppelin has the ability to create a softer kind of music very well.

Plant's lyrics are among his best written for any album. "All My Love" and "Fool In The Rain" are lyrical gems, but not all of the songs are. "Carouselambra" and "Hot Dog" are the weak spots lyrically. As with any Led Zeppelin album, Plant's words match perfectly with Page, Jones, and Bonham's music.

I really like this album. Although I much rather the harder side of the Zep, this album intrigues me. The pop in the group comes out, and it is not that bad. I like the style of most of the songs, but they could have put in at least one rocker. If it were stolen again, I would buy it in a heart beat.