Led Zeppelin review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Mar 31, 1969
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin's debut is the most blues-based album they recorded. The atmosphere is so heavy it's really mind-blowing. It's so heavy it may even be too much for some. This tone is most evident in the famous track Dazed and Confused which is one of the songs Jimmy Page used a violin bow on. The songs on this album range from short and sweet to long and amazing. Although this record is dominated by blues, Zep pulls out a little folk with Black Mountain Side. They also manage to fuse hard-rock with acoustic sounds in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and it comes out good. It's hard to imagine that this record was made in 30 work hours over 9 days for only 1, 782.

The lyrics are what you would expect from blues. Tales Of Heartbreak and Brown-Eyed Girls. Although all these songs are about love, it doesn't once get annoying or sappy. These bluesy words are served up wonderfully by Robert Plant. I can't imagine anyone else singing these songs and still sounding as good as he does.

Although this is a debut, it's one heck of one, that's for sure. This album layed down the heaviness that Led Zeppelin is famous for. My favorite songs from this album are Dazed And Confused, Communication Breakdown, and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Dazed gives you heavily distorted guitar sounds, heavy bass, and a killer solo. Communication is a fast two-and-a-half minute rocker with great vocals, solo, and very enjoyable (not to mention a great first song to learn how to play on the guitar). And Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is an excellent acoustic piece. If I managed to lose this album, I would buy it again as soon as possible.