Led Zeppelin [DVD] review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: May 27, 2003
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin [DVD]

This DVD just makes the greatest hard rock band look even better. The quality of the sound seems if it came right out of the recording studio. Jimmy Page's drawn out solos are so creative, and be sure to watch Dazed and Confused. He used a cello bow. The whole crowd watched in awe, along with Robert Plant. I was amazed and tried it myself. The DVD fits right in with Led Zep's style. They just turn a 4 minute song into a 30 minute jam session. I timed John Bohnam's Moby Dick drum solo just at 30 minutes. This is probably the best compilations of concerts I have watched.

Content — 9
The DVD contains segments of 5 of Led Zeppelin's concerts. There are also a few interviews and some promos. 1 of the 2 disks is totally devoted to an early Zep concert at Royal Albert Hall, with all of the best songs from Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin II (We're Gonna Groove; I Can't Quit You Baby; Dazed and Confused; White Summer; What Is and What Should Never Be; How Many More Times; Moby Dick; Whole Lotta Love; Communication Breakdown; C'mon Everybody; Something Else; and Bring It On Home). DVD 2 has later Zep material including Immigrant Song in it's own concert, a show at MSG (Black Dog; Misty Mountain Hop; Since I've Been Loving You; The Ocean). The next concert is at Earl's Court and a lot of it is their acoustic stuff, but not all. (Going to California; That's the Way; Bron-Y-Aur Stomp; In My Time of Dying; Trampled Underfoot; Stairway to Heaven) The final concert on the DVD was at Knebworth (Rock and Roll; Nobody's Fault but Mine; Sick Again; Achilles Last Stand; In the Evening; Kashmir; Whole Lotta Love) I was a little dissapointed when I saw that The Song Remains the Same or No Quarter was not in this DVD. It would also be nice if they had shots of Page playing the Theremin in WHole lotta love. Overall I was pleased with the content.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality is awesome. The shots were remastered dozens of times before they made it to this DVD. I read somewehe else these concerts were the ones rejected by Jimmy Page to be in The Song Remains the Same. It was pretty cool when the editors made the picture go phychedelic and mirror images of the band. The picture along with the sound made me feel I was there 30 years ago.

This DVD just puts even more into Led Zeppelin's reputation. The most impressive thing on this DVD is the improvs. Jimmy Page's drawn out solos left me with a dropped jaw, along with his violin bow innovation. I was dumbstruck by John Bohnam's Moby Dick. I just love this DVD all around, and there is nothing not to love. I would definatly buy this DVD again if it were to be taken out if my hands.