Led Zeppelin [DVD] review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: May 27, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin [DVD]

This DVD was so incredible when I first wateched it with my Father. From hard rock to acoustic music, this DVD contains the only official live versions of a lot of songs (without buying any bootleg version of them) such as Achilles Last Stand, In the Evening, I'm not sure if Misty Mountain Hop or The Ocean were on any other DVDs. And these were only on the second disc. Disc one has the song White Summer, which was an incredible guitar solo by Jimmy Page, Bring it on Home all the way through. This was just a site to see. Some hidden features were really old live versions of songs such as Dazed and Confused, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and Communication Breakdown, which are also on the setlist itself. But those songs were from the very early days of Zeppelin, possibly before they even recorded the album. The use of the theremin on Whole Lotta Love and the violin bow on Dazed and Confused were, as to be expected of Led Zeppelin, incredible to see.

Content — 10
This DVD contains multiple shows on it, the first disc features an entire show that they did in 1970, as well as the bonus tracks I spoke of that can be viewed in the menu area under extras. The second disc starts off with the 'Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won' version of the 'Immigrant Song'. This was just the song being played, Jimmy just gave it footage from a different song. It was still cool to watch though. Then they moved on to Madison square Garden, where the setlist was: Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, Since I've Been Loving You, The Ocean. This footage was remastered from the first Led Zeppelin DVD The Song Remains the Same. This DVD is only fragments of shows for whatever reason (a lack of footage/music). The next show features a few coustic songs, Going to California That's the Way and Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp. This revealed a different side of Led Zeppelin, that doesn't recieve very much if any radio play, that is a site to behold. Jimmy Page plays very clean on this, and is incredible to watch. Not to mention JPJ's Mandolin work and Plant's vocals. Then they play the only official live releases to date of the songs 'In My Time of Dying' and 'Trampled Underfoot'. Watching both of these were amazing. They then close this show with the song, which is my very favorite version, Stairway to Heaven. There is only one word to describe this, mindblowing. I get so excited every time I watch this, and this portion alone makes it worth buying. Then they switch shows yet again, Jump ahead to 1979, (the last show with everything from Bron-Yr-Aur to Stairway was from I think '75). This kicks off with the famous, Rock and Roll. It then plays Nobdy's Fault But Mine, which was incredible, to Sick Again, Achilles Last Stand, In the Evening, then Kashmir, then they play what is not my very favorite version of Whole Lotta Love, this one's rather weak. But overall this was good.

Production Quality — 10
The production on this was incredible. Everything, the crowd, the footage, and the music was very clear, it was like listening to a studio album with a crowd, that clear. Jimmy Page did do some tricks with Robert's voice and the instruments and what not to make it sound as good as he could, and he did a great job, without the original bootleged shows you can't tell that he changed anything. You can read about this at 'http://www.simplyled.org/thegardentapes.html'. This will reveall all live Led Zeppelin production tricks. But, it was still all in the purpose of giving the consumer the best thing possible, and I do not complain about any of it.

This is positively the best live DVD I have ever seen and probably the best one in existence, anyone who even remotely likes Led Zeppelin should buy this. To single out one thing on here would be an injustice to the DVD. But I will say that I enjoy seeing their interviews and Early show footage. There is honestly nothing that I can say I hate about it, and eveything about it I love. If it were lost or stolen, I can honestly say I would replace it as soon as possible, as well as try and recover the old one, even if it meant owning two.

DisturbedOne126
    yeah i saw this dvd so many times and everytime im always saying wow, they are the most amazing live band ever. if u dont have it buy it
    orange_juice
    Disc 1 starts with Misty Mountain Hop, at the Royal Albert Hall, Very Spectacular.
    you might want to double check that. misty mountain hop hadn't been recorded or even written at the time of the royal albert hall performance in 1970
    mtforever
    If you listen and look closely near the end of Jimmy's "stairway to heaven solo you can hear the sound of a string snapping (his B string) and can see it dangling from the head of the guitar, he just keeps on playing as if nothing happens.
    joshgiesbrecht
    Wow.. After reading the reviews I think I really want to buy this DVD. I think I'll have to the next time I get a chance.. Thanks for this amazing review!