Led Zeppelin II review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Oct 22, 1969
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin II

This album is where the band really started to rock and hard! The songs are all awesome, and there aren't any weak tracks on the whole album! With Robert Plant's siren of a voice, Jimmy Page's imaginative, ingenious guitar work, John Paul Jones melodic, intricate basslines and Bonzo's powerful, pounding drums, this album is a rock n' roll classic!

The lyrics are mainly written by Plant, and are great, but still haven't reached the level of maturity in such albums as Led Zeppelin IV and onwards. Mostly talking about women and sex (Whole Lotta Love, The Lemon Song, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid, Bring it On Home), the lyrical high point of the Album (in my opinion) is the beautiful Ramble On, Inspired by the work of J.R.R Tolkien, of which remains the theme for other Zeppelin songs!

01. Whole Lotta Love - the awesome, and possibly one of the most famous riffs in rock. Starting off with Page, Plant and Jones, Bonham soon kicks in with the chorus and the song is off! The rather long bridge adds to the song and atmosphere, containing various moans and groans from Plant, and unusual effects and guitar wizardry from Page, but after a Powerful fill from Bonham, Page Kicks into a blistering solo! A true rock classic! 02. What Is And Should Never Be - starting with Plant's heartfelt wors, some bass noodling and gentle chords in the background, soon the song turns to a rockin' chorus. Repeated throughout the song, but still a great listen! 03. The Lemon Song - another awesome rock song! Page comes in with a cool bluesy riff, and soon in come the rest. Filled with innuendo, serious riffing, a bitching bass solo, and ofcourse, the famous line, "Squeeze my lemon baby, til the juice runs down my leg." 04. Thankyou - beautiful. All I have to say about this song. Led Zeppelin really prove their ability to write slow songs as well as rock ones with this one. 05. Heartbreaker - a true rockin' song. The famous riff, the weird and wonderful solo, Plant's lovelorn lyrics, and Bonham and Jones's rockin' rhythm. A Zeppelin classic. 06. Living Loving Maid - a cool, simple riff with a great rhthym. Despite it being Page's least favourite tracka and short length, I think it's a great track. Also, some great bass work in the chorus. One of their simpler songs, but still good. 07. Ramble On - an awesome song, and my personal favourite. Starts with some nice acoustic chords, a melodic bassline and Plant quietly singing heartfelt lyrics (inspired by the Hobbit), soon bursts into a great chorus. Definately the lyrical highpoint of the song, and showcasing the bands talents. 08. Moby Dick - starts with the great riff, broken up with some rockin' solo breaks from Page. But after a couple of bars, it all turns into a drum solo. Not really my kind of thing, but still, you can't help marvel at Bonhams awesome skills. 09. Bring It On Home - another great song. My second favourite on the album, and my favourite riff. Starts with some bluesy twelve bar blues at the beginning, accompanied by a harmonica. Plant swaps his usual high pitched wail for a bluesy drone. Just as the song becomes a little boring, it all goes quiet, when Page comes in with an unbelievable riff. Before you know it, it becomes the Zeppelin we all know and love. A great finisher for this awesome record. This is Led Zeppelin's true rock album. A must buy for all Zeppelin fans, and probably the best buy for people wanting to get into them!