Led Zeppelin II review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Oct 22, 1969
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin II, was the first Led Zeppelin Album I ever heard. I can still remember the rush that it gave me. From The opening riff of Whole Lotta Love to the bluesy outro to Bring It On Home the album astounded me and still does. The album was experimental with drums solos and breaks unlike anyone had ever heard, in songs such Whole Lotta Love and Moby Dick, the latter being John Bonham's finest hour. The album features both sides of Jimmy Pages songwriting techniques with the acoustic brilliance of Thank You and the start of Ramble On. The album itself is very bluesy as Page was heavily influenced by the genre. It was produced by Page himself who was very innotive in the Recording Industry using techniques which had never been seen before.

The lyrics in Led Zeppelin II show Plants love and feeling for woman e.g. Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid (Shes Just A Woman). He also wrote lyrics relating to fantasy book Lord Of the Rings which was popular at the time. This can be heard in Ramble On and on later albums in songs such as The Battle Of Evermore off IV. Plant's lyrics were not as innovative as Page's instrumental work but they worked well together, and Plants vocals suited the music perfectly.

When the question What is Led Zep's best album? arises the usual answer tends to be IV or Physical Graffiti, but Led Zeppelin II was a very important album in Led Zeppelin's 11 year career and it was only released in there first year, several months after the First Album. On the album the most impressive songs tend to be the un-sung heroes, such as Ramble On which had never been played live until Zep's 2007 Reunion concert! The album can't really be split into individual best songs, so listen to it together as one piece the way Zeppelin intended! Oh and by the way, I would definetly buy it again if I lost it, even if all the tracks are already on my itunes!

100%guitarmad
    I love how guitaplaya explains to us what a solo is.
    And Moby Dick has a drum solo. All it is is the drummer playing stuff while no other instrument plays.