Led Zeppelin III review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Oct 5, 1970
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin III

I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for many years now, but it was only very recently that I discovered the beauty of the unsung hero of Zep albums. III recorded between January and July 1970 and was released October 5, 1970 by Atlantic Records. Many of the songs featured on the album were conceived in mid-1970 at Bron-Yr-Aur, an 18th century cottage in Gwynedd, Wales, on a hilltop overlooking the Dyfi Valley, three miles north of the market town Machynlleth. It showed a change in the sound of Zeppelin to a more experimental genre of rock, and acoustic. Although Jimmy Page still favored the guitar riff on songs such as the classic Immigrant Song and Celebration Day, he began to use a lot more acoustic guitar, in songs such as Tangerine, Friends, Bron Y Aur Stomp etc. He explored structures that he hadn't touched upon before such as the Bluesy improvised stylings of Since I've Been Loving You. The album was very innovative in itself but never reached the critical acclaim it deserved so was not as influential as it could of been.

I fine point for Robert Plant in his career, his voice had really evolved by this point, and his voice was a natural fit for both the blues rock and acoutic sides of Zeppelin. The lyrical aspects of the album were also a fine point with "That's the Way", considered by Page to be a breakthrough for still-developing lyric writer Plant.

Led Zeppelin III is not Zeppelins greatest album, but was an important album in their career that helped them evolve as Songwriters and Musicians. The most impressive songs on the album are Immigrant Song, Friends, Celebration Day, Tangerine, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, but don't listen to these songs by themselves, listen to the album as one, the way Zep intended, for the full experience! I love this album because Zep were not afraid to explore different genres such as their trademark folkey acoustic style, as well as keeping the Riff Oreintated Rock that made them famous. If I lost this album, of course I would buy it again!

BGM>YOU
    Ironpriest
    I have this on vinyl and it has a spinny thing on the cover. It's really cool!
    haha epic! If more Albums did this, the world would be a better place
    freedomdeceptiv
    BGM>YOU wrote: I think Led Zeppelin is a pretty cool guy. eh shreds guitar solos and doesn't afraid of anything.
    dude, you BETTER be joking around! lmao, u do know led zep is a band right? the greatest band of all time!
    sbauer187
    If you listen closely to Bonzo's drumming at the end of Out On The Tiles, you can hear the drums panning from one ear to the other. Awesome!!
    cavalettas
    Friends is my favourite song on this album and my favourite Led Zeppelin song overall. It's sooo good.
    ace man