Led Zeppelin III review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Oct 5, 1970
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin III

Led Zeppelin does a great job expanding their sound on this album, while also keeping true to their bluesy background. On songs like "That's the Way" and "Gallows Pole", they begin to demonstrate their folk influences, while on "Immigrant Song" and "Out on the Tiles" they retain their hard rock edge. Page's solos in "Since I've Been Loving You" are some of the best of his career. John Paul Jones also does a great job on bass, but he really manages to shine on mandolin on "Gallows Pole" and "Tangerine". John Bonham, being the best drummer alive at this time, does a superb job on the drums, especially on "Out on the Tiles" with its confusing rhythm.

Lyrical content is very strong. "That's the Way" has some of the best lyrics ever written by Plant. Plant gave a great performance on this album, although I personally can't stand the intro to "Immigrant Song" (it's even worse live!) Possibly his strongest performances are on "Friends" and "Since I've Been Loving You." His voice overall is one of Zeppelin's greatest assets.

This album has a great variety of songs, ranging from bluesy classics to folk songs. The best songs are "Immigrant Song", "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp." My personal favorite would have to be "That's the Way" because of its lyrics and the beautiful acoustic guitar work. The thing I love most about the album is the variety of music types present on it, especially on the second half of the album. My main problem with it is Plant's sound on "Immigrant Song" and "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper", although this is not a huge problem.