Led Zeppelin IV review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 8, 1971
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV

The sound is classic Led Zeppelin. It's got it's heavy moments, and it's lighter moments. But "Stairway to Heaven" blends those two elements perfectly. Anyway, it's a great sound that should not be missed. The guitar sounds Jimmy Page produces is incredible. "Black Dog" for example was him messing with the microphones. I believe on "When the Levee Breaks" John Bonham's drum sounds came from him sitting in a hallway with a microphone hanging down form the ceiling.

The lyrics on all the songs differ, of course. "Black Dog" in Robert Plants words is "...blatant let's-do-it-in-the-bath-type thing...." "Rock-n-Roll" is just a salute to old time rock-n-roll, but it's effect is a good one(still can't get over that song being played on Cadillac commercials. Led Zeppelin+Cadillac=confusion.) "Battle of Evermore"(one of my faves) really makes you think about 1400 medieval battles, or just "Lord of the Rings." I'm not going to go through the whole album but I'll tell you they named the song "Four Sticks" becuase John Bonham played with four sticks on it and "Black Dog" is named that because a black dog walked in the studio when they were recording.

I don't really think this is the best Led Zeppelin album ever, but I'm not sure what is. My favorite songs on this album are "Battle of Evermore", "Black Dog", Stairway to Heaven (of Course)", "Misty Mountain Hop", well forget it, I like the whole album. I'd buy it again (in fact I don't own it, I borrowed it from a friend forever, guess I could go listen to my mom's record of it now). Go buy it if you're looking for something good.