Led Zeppelin IV review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 8, 1971
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV

"Led Zeppelin IV," "Zoso," "Runes," "Four Symbols" call it what you wish. It won't change the fact that it was one of the most important albums of the 1970's, and ultimately one of the most important albums in all of rock music. I didn't say the best, I just said most important. In case you haven't read any of my other reviews, I'm one of those fans that favor the band's later albums. "Physical Graffiti" and "In Through The Out Door" are my two favorite Zeppelin albums, and no matter how great you tell me IV is, I'm not changing my mind. I'll admit that IV meant more to the music world (I won't argue that at all), but in my opinion it can't measure up to the band's later material. IV still has a lot to offer, though, and still manages to be an astounding album. Containing probably some of the band's biggest hits, IV warps the band's sound back around to a more enjoyable level than III. Don't get me wrong, III was a good album too, but with IV they tried to sound a bit more like II, which was another Zeppelin masterpiece. I know, it's a lot of roman numerals to keep track of, but hopefully if you're a fan enough you'll at least halfway understand.

Lyrically, the album is a quantum leap from III. Not to put down III's lyrics or anything, but with IV, the band started to draw in a bit more outside influence than before. The album shows the band members' interests towards Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings" novels ("The Battle Of Evermore," "Stairway To Heaven"), a concept that the band would come back to time and time again in subsequent releases. Though the album contains some unnecessary and rather annoying rock cliches ("Black Dog" about a woman, "Rock And Roll" about, well, take a wild guess), the lyrics are still enjoyable and, for the most part, consistent, so I don't have any really major complaints in the lyric department. But the band no doubt tried harder lyrically in later albums.

On the whole, this album is a great one for fans who are just getting into Zeppelin. It's easily their most accessible album, containing no doubt their most famous hits. It's no wonder why it's their best-selling album. As far as the first four Zeppelin albums go, the only one that I feel beats IV out would be II, and it's really not by a whole lot. If you don't have Zep IV already, chances are you don't have any of the other band's material, and it's a high recommendation from me to get you started on the band. I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't own it, but hey, fans gotta start somewhere, right?

KingABX345
    alot of ppl say that stair way to heaven is one of the best Zeppelin songs ever but if ur a Zeppelin fan u know it isn't
    fender3592
    bassplayerwilly is right. my favorite song by led zeppelin tho is not stairway to heaven, but i think my favorite would have to be achiles last stand off of presence
    jon3782001
    ''yes you heard me - pop music'' technically we can't hear you, we see you, ps your are wrong, rob plant is as good as freddie mercury, hetfield isnt in their league
    Hobodeter
    Stop saying that Stairway to Heaven has the deepest lyrics ever when even Robert Plant has no idea what they mean. The lyrics are shit on that song. And also stop calling this the greatest album ever. I highly doubt youve hear every album out there.
    KingABX345
    this isn' the greatest album ever and thats so true most of these songs were written when they wher like SUPER high if u know what i mean
    Cloud147
    Guys, stop going searching in google for a clever answer. It's matter of taste. If you are metal you prefer Motorhead, Metallica, etc. and led zeppelin isn`t heavy enough for you. Fine! just let the people that like this enjoy it. If you wanna "bring them to reality", don't do it, no one asked you. Stariway to Heaven is a good song, maybe is not as complex as otehr songs, and the lyrics now seem weird. guess what? this was done nearly 40 years ago, Then it had sence, now it may seem weird. As the song Stairway to heaven has been used, burned, critisized, etc. most of you dont like`. GOOD! NOW SHUT UP!
    Howe-n-Harrison
    have u been living in a shrub? or are u jst dim-witted? stairway to heaven is the deepest, most perfectly crafted piece of poetry since kipling or wordsworth. the song is about the desperate turmoil of society and its struggle with the dark and vicious world of drug addiction, gaining the fix through any means possible. the song is NOT about a woman buying a stairway she thinks leads to heaven. its a metaphor for the dangerous and vindictive world of drug abuse.
    thank you jesus christ readign this guys article made me wanna choke sumbody, and why wud u give this album a perfect 10, it is probably the greatets album ever written next to thw white album and the free wheeelin'
    Howe-n-Harrison
    The lyris alone are some of the best I've ever heard. Although there are other good lyric righters like James Hetfield (Metallica if you didn't know)
    wow ur trying to say great lyricsists and all u cud come up wuith was james hetfeild, wow dylan, lennon, fogarty, guthrie, seeger, young, r just sum that wud coem to my mind be4 hetfield hes probably liek the last one id think of, ive herd better lyrics from simple plan
    notoriousnumber
    Among all the 10s, 9.7s and 9s there comes 4.7, Flying Pee what the hell were you thinking? I respect your taste in music, maybe this isnt the album for you, but your argument for how bad it is was so poorly worded and constructed that I had mind to think of you as a blind 4 year old. A truly stunning album, it was my first Led buy and I am totally satisfied. There literally is no song on that album that I dislike in the slightest.
    LaGrange
    flying pee.....u dumb..shit. your such a moronic loser i dont even know what to say to you... The album rules! Great lyrics, not a song was bad at all, perfection. led zeppelin will probably be listened to unil the human race dies out, and if it isnt thats a sad sad thing. SEE YA LATER!