Led Zeppelin IV review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 8, 1971
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV

First off, I would like to say this album's music is written very well. Many guitar layers add to the listening experience. The acoustic sound is great, but the electric sound can leave a little to be desired. The bass sounds good, yet can drift in and out of the mix. The bass playing isn't truly amazing either but it gets the job done. I would have to say the same thing about the drums; they aren't flashy but do their job wonderfully. The supportive rhythm section adds to Zeppelin's guitar centered sound.

I think the lyrics on this album are top notch. They tell a story with a hint of mysticism. Plant (which wrote a good amount of the lyrics along with Paige) is a great vocalist. On the more bluesy songs, he can change his voice to more of a moan, while on other songs, his voice is strong and powerful. This adds greatly to the emotion in the song. I love how the guitar accents the vocals every once in a while. The guest singer that appears on one of the songs is good also. No weak points in this section at all.

I would consider this album one of the best of the '70s. Of course it includes the legendary classic, "Stairway to Heaven." This is not the only reason to buy the album, however. "Battle of Evermore," "Rock and Roll," and "When the Levee Breaks" are all great songs. My personal favorite would have to be "Going to California." A ton of emotion in that song. The weak point to me would have to be "Four Sticks." There's just something I don't like about that song. Zeppelin IV is defiantly a must have in any type of music lovers collection, for it has so much variety. One second you are listening to a heavy song, then a very emotional acoustic tune, and then a true blues masterpiece. That's what makes it so good.

frusciante_50
    i am not the biggest zeppelin fan, but even i can appreciate the good songs on this album. Page is not one of my favourite guitarists, but there is no way you can dispute his credibility, or the fact that zeppelin are a legendary band, and that this a classic album. When you can play stairway to heaven, you feel that you have made a big step in your guitar playing.
    frusciante_50
    orange_juice wrote: When I heared this album for the first time I was so disapointed that even Stairway To Heaven could fix that up. The reason they became so popular was because they were hippies that played pop music. You heared me pop music. how else could they sell 24 million albums. The reason they sold so much is only pure luck. They didn't sell 24 copies of Led Zep 4 because its good but because it was pop music just like Christinea Aguilera or Britney Spears. What if LZ started today? It's all about right time right place. If i ever meet you, i am going to kill you with my bare hands. NOBODY compares Led Zeppelin to brittany speers and lives to talk about it.
    You'd have most of the people from this page on your side aswell!
    frusciante_50
    not my favourite band, but nonetheless a phenomenal album. Zep have credibility, which a lot of bands today could do with. Pleased to hear talks of a reunion
    joshgiesbrecht
    Flying Pee that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard come from anyones mouth... James Hetfield and Metallica aren't much.. Their stuff is junk.. And they are that "pop" as you say.. Try learning what music is.. Try learning respect for bands other than Metallica.. And Brittany Spears as you say.. Get a life.