Led Zeppelin IV review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 8, 1971
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV

Few other bands set rock n' roll standards as high as Led Zeppelin did. Their first two albums, considered by many to be some of the greatest rock n' roll albums of all time, helped make rock music harder and heavier. Then you had Led Zeppelin III, which combined their bluesy hard rock sound with a more experimental sound. While it wasn't considered a classic when it was first released, time has definitely been kind to it and is now regarded as one of their best works. And then, about a year after III was released, the great and almighty Zeppelin gave us their fourth album; some call it "their fourth album and that's it", the "four symbols" album, or just "Led Zeppelin IV". However, the album also bears a title that most Zeppelin fan will nod their in agreement: their best work. If I could end this portion of my review with "Stairway To Heaven", I definitely could. It is truly one of the greatest songs ever created; soft folk-inspired guitar work that eventually progresses with a loud, catchy rock n' roll melody that only Zeppelin could perfect. In fact, most of the album is like that. The sound ranges from soft folk songs like "Going To California" and "Battle Of Evermore" to good ol' fashioned rock n' roll songs like "Black Dog" and "Rock & Roll". All of this shows that Zeppelin grew and matured as a band since their previous couple of albums; no longer are we just hearing blues-rock songs about women and sex, but we're also hearing the more beautiful side of rock n' roll filled with fantasy and love balanced with cigarette lighter-waving melodies.

Once again, if I could get away with just writing "Stairway To Heaven", I would. Both the lyrics and singing just work so well together. The lyrics to "Stairway To Heaven" bring a tear to one eye while Robert Plant's vocals bring a tear to another. No surprise here, but Robert Plant's lyrics and vocals actually work on every single song on here so well that it almost hurts. They are playful and wild in songs like "Black Dog" and "Rock And Roll" while being soft and majestic in songs like "Stairway To Heaven" and "Going To California". Sometimes it's a combination of both, like it is in "Misty Mountain Hop". Either way you look at it, the vocals are great to listen to and the lyrics are interesting to read.

Most music critics wouldn't dare to put Led Zeppelin IV among The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" or the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds", especially on a Top Twenty Greatest Albums List. While I will admit that Led Zeppelin IV is not the greatest album of all time, it definitely ranks among them. It was relevant when it first came out and it has remained relevant throughout the years...and will remain relevant for years to come.

MaggaraMarine
    ^ Pop = popular music and it contains all genres that are not classical (and maybe jazz, I'm not completely sure). Even heavy metal is pop. Though pop is also a genre. It doesn't only mean popular music. It's a genre of popular music. And metal and pop (genre) actually have pretty much in common. Both are "riff based" and what I mean by that is that both have a repeated theme, riff, chord progression, whatever. And both have a clear structure like ABABCB. Of course there are some more progressive songs but this is how major metal and pop songs are and that's what separates them from classical that progresses all the time and the structure is much more complicated. And I don't get people who say that pop sucks. I can say that most metal sucks. I really enjoy only some metal bands. Actually most music sucks. There are a lot more bands that you hate than love. But I think there are good pop songs. Michael Jackson for example had great songs IMO. And it's all about opinions. No genre is objectively better than other genres. Why is the term "pop" so negative? I think majority of us listens to pop music. Metal and rock aren't really that different to pop music. Though I agree. The review with 4.7 rating was awful. Not because he didn't like the album but he didn't really give any reasons for not liking it.
    Haris_rock
    MAn you are an idiot...how can you compare Metallica lyrics with Led Zep's...This is the best group ever...Metallica is just one of the bend's that play commercial song's to be on the top....This is great album...and one of the best Led Zep's ever....
    SGofawesome
    People don't realize that pop is an ever-changing genre. Pop just means "popular by the mass majority". When Stairway came out, Led Zep was popular by the mass majority, as well as many other rock bands, therefore making them pop. We're just so phased by what pop is today that we can't see that 70's rock was the pop of that age.
    MaggaraMarine
    One of my least favorite Led Zeppelin albums. The songs are great but I just prefer their other albums to this (other than LZ III which is also great but just not as good as the others). Maybe I have heard "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll" and "Stairway to Heaven" too many times. I think they are still awesome songs. But my favorite track on the album is "When the Levee Breaks". "Four Sticks" is just a bit weird and the other songs - while I like them - aren't that memorable, at least IMO. I know people like this album because it has LZ's three best known songs. But IMO LZ has a lot better songs. It's hard to decide which of their albums is the best because they are all great. But I would say my favorites are their first and second albums.
    GN'R Dude
    Deep*Kick wrote: And Hetfield has to write better lyrics, cause he can't deliver them as well as plant :p
    BINGO! Hetfield may say some cool stuff but no one but Plant could make ooooohhhhhooooohhhhh listenable and relevant.