Mothership review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
Led Zeppelin: Mothership

Duck and cover, get in the bunkers and take shelter, because the Mothership has landed! Released to coincide with the Led Zeppelin reunion concert, this collection is indeed the Mothership, filled with many of Zep's best songs, including "Stairway to Heaven," "Dazed And Confused," and my personal favorite, "Achilles Last Stand." And, should you so be inclined, there is a deluxe edition that comes with a third disc available for purchase. This disc contains videos from the Led Zeppelin DVD, live performances at Royal Albert Hall, MSG, Knebworth, and more. As far as sound and quality goes, there's not much to say, other than, "It's Zeppelin."

Robert Plant's lyrics and voice is always top notch. The vocals are powerful (Heartbreaker), haunting (No Quarter), and overall a feast to the ears. Lyrics-wise, inspirations range from fantasy settings, J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and various other experiences. I'm not to say exactly what all the songs are about and their meanings, I'll leave that up to you, the listeners. Overall, Plant's vocals are amazing, and you won't be disappointed.

While this is a good collection, my main problem is the fact that most, if not all, of this stuff has already been released and re-released time and again. If you already have the Early Days/Latter Days, there may not be a good reason to buy this collection. Most of the bonus videos were already released on Led Zeppelin's self-titled DVD. The only tracks featured on Mothership that were not on Early Days/Latter days are "Heartbreaker," "Ramble On," and "D'yer Mak'er." However, this comes at the expense of the removal of "Battle of Evermore" and "Over the Hills and Far Away." The only other thing that irks me is the cover. It looks nothing like any of the covers of Zeppelin's previous albums, and I have a sneaking suspicion they had nothing to do with this cover. So, overall, I am going to give this an 8 out 10, as it is a very good collection, with its only flaw being that if you are already a Zeppelin fan, there's a good chance you already have everything on these CDs. However, if you're a new Zeppelin fan looking to get in to them, this is the collection to have.

luckeas
    haha "painfully sloppy gutair licks".... thats pretty funny you said that.....I think you one of those kids who listens to Fall OUt Boy and My Chemical ROmance...lol..do you even know what a guitar lick is....by your name "the king is dead" i see that you like Megadeth...hey how bout instead of you showing eveyone that your retared why don't you just go ride you low E string with your pothetic crate 10watt amp. and your new squire that your mom just bought you.
    luckeas
    and another thing TheKingisDead quit telling us what your queer brother has to say about led zepppelin. and grow a brain.
    cyoder
    gr1170 wrote: grimms wrote: I swear... This band has like 3 GOOD songs... the rest are SHIT! Led Zeppelin SUCK! Somewhere a baby just died because of what you said, You now have to live with that for the rest of your life. It is people like you who don't even appriciate or respect bands of the past who go off and create bands like Fall Out Boy.
    U guys all f-in kill me! i love how one comment sparks an all-out war in people--because we get to have hilarious comments like gr1170's! Ledzepkicksazz is right, too. What kind of idiot would click on an article about a band they hate? So, in closing, i would like not to curse, but to thank grimms for my laugh of the day and give props to gr1170 for working in Fall Out Boy to his dis. All in good spirits, though people, Grimms has a right to his opinion, but not on a forum for led zeppelin. Rock on everyone, led zeppelin is awesome.
    olithebass
    so is this nothing more than a collection of zeppellin songs stuck in 2 disks?? a task that anyone can really do tbh is there anything else about the album that can compare it to something like what the beatles did with the 'love' album last year??
    dotstudio
    i will kill you
    rexalus
    we know you are just a shithead who messes around here hiding your ass out there.
    masterluthier
    heartbreaker is on the 1st disc i got the deluxe 4 x-mas
    nikhil101 wrote: the only thing thats dissapointing is that heartbreaker and the battle of evermore arent on it! otherwise its a good collection for someone who is just getting into led zep