The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Review

Released: 1999-2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal
 9.8
The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: BrofUJu, on january 29, 2004

Sound: Wow, there is definitely great sound on these 2 albums. Zep explores everything from fast paced rock to more jazz sounding. All that classics you want, including Stairway to Heaven, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog and more! (Duh, its a greatest hits) Whether you are a fan because of their tough rock or slower stuff, you should pick this up. 23 songs, all great. If you are either a long time Zep fan, or a newcomer. If you're looking to dive into the great pool of Led Zeppelin, this is a great place to start, since it has both old a new, fast and slow. // 10

Lyrics: Obvioulsy very good. Stairway to Heaven has some of the greatest lyrics of all time. Not much to say, other than they are well written, and well thought up, and have some great meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great buy. I got this for 30 bucks and am glad I did. It also has the videos for "Communication Breakdown" and "Kashmir" The early stuff (Early days) tends to be the faster stuff, and the older stuff (Latter days) tends to be the slower stuff if you just want to buy one of them. I'd reccomend this to any Led Zeppelin fan, or fan of Classic rock (or good music!). // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: Kill em all89, on november 13, 2003

Sound: This is a kool 2 disc C.D. The early days are tracks like communication breakdown, dazed and confused, rock and roll, black dog, Stairway to heaven, and other great tracks. The latter days zeppelin when the're older like good tracks like kashmir, song remains the same, trampled underfoot and other great songs. Zeppelin used a lot of hard rock, a lil bit of blues, and a lil bit of ethnic music like kashmir. Very good C.D // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good it makes a lot of sense cause they're friggin LED ZEPPELIN!!! Robert Plant is a very good vocalist in all of the songs. Jimmy page and robert plant wrote most of the songs. Talk about a good songwriting pair!!! // 10

Overall Impression: What I like about this album is it has a lot of good zep tunes in it but it should have a lot more cause zeppelin has tons of good songs. IT's very good I recommend it if your a led zeppelin fan or a new led zeppelin fan!! // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on may 22, 2004

Sound: The soun is classic Zeppelin, a good mix of hard blues rock and soft acoustic songs. The guitar is amazing as always, with Jimmy Page being the greatest guitarist ever. In Latter Days the sound gets quite a bit more computerized, and although some tracks like Kashmir and Ten Years Gone mix effects with music, songs like The Song Remains the Same and No Quarter overuse them and massacre what could have been decent songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, especially on tracks like Stairway to Heaven. Good Times Bad Times has cringe-worthy lyrics worthy of a modern pop song, but its awesome solo redeems it. Robert Plant cranks out amazing vocals perfectly, especially on tracks like Dazed and Confused and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Lyrics on Latter Days are more reflective and better (Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Houses of the Holy), and the lyrics on Early Days suit the hard rock feel better, so everything's in good harmony here. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs are Good Times Bad Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, What Is and What Should Never Be, Immigrant Song, Rock and Roll, Battle of Evermore, and of course Stairway to Heaven. On latter days, only a few stand out: Ten Years Gone, Kasmir, and Houses of the Holy. I love most of the songs on this 2-CD set, although I listen to Early Days much more often than Latter Days. I hate The Song Remains the Same and No Quarter, two tracks that should never have been produced by a great band like Zeppelin. If it was stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy it again. A great introduction for a Zeppelin fan to get the feel of whether you like their later or earlier stuff, and at a good price as well, around 25 bucks. // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2004

Sound: This is a great album! Early stuff like "Whole Lotta Love", "Communication Breakdown", "Black Dog", and of course "Stairway To Heaven" are classics. They are great hard rock songs with a touch of blues thrown on on some songs. "Immigrant Song" is a legendary Led Zeppelin song. It is only two and a half minutes long (short by Zep's standards) but is incredibly catchy. "When The Leevee Breaks" has awesome drumming. On Latter Days, things slow down, but not very much. "Houses of the Holy" and "Trampled Underfoot" show the groups funkier side. "Achilles Last Stand" is probably the best late Led Zeppelin song. It is ten minutes long but has a great amount of energy put into it. I still think it could've ended about a minute or two earlier, but who cares anyway? "Kashmir" is a very experimental song. It sounds very Arabian. This is probably one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs. The band's sound differs from song to song. This album is great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. Some, like "Whole Lotta Love", are pretty blatant and uncreative. "Stairway To Heaven" is greatly written. It is probably one of the best-written Zep songs ever. Robert Plant's voice goes great with the music. Still, I give it a five out of five. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs are "Communication Breakdown", "Whole Lotta Love", "When The Levee Breaks", "Immigrant Song", "Stairway To Heaven", "Houses Of The Holy", "Kashmir", and "Achilles Last Stand". Led Zeppelin was a great band, and this album shows them at their best. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again. // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: Led_Zeppelin992, on april 12, 2006

Sound: This CD is great. The sound is excellent, except for a few songs when theres so much noise that's it's kinda blurry in a way, like Dazed and Confused. This CD is really like kind of pop/rock music, but it's great and anybody who likes music would like this. Jimmy's Page's guitar playing is absolutely crazy in Dazed And Confused with his solo, and the way he uses a violin bow to play is absolutely amazing. Robert Plant's vocals are also great, along with John Paul Jones and Bonzo's amazing drumming work. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics were very interersting, like in Stairway To Heaven, and The Battle Of Evermore. Robert's vocals are again, excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't really have a lot of CD's, so I can't really compare it with anything else. The most impressive songs on this album are, of course, Stairway to Heaven, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Dazed And Confused. I love everything about this CD. There's nothing to hate. Absolutely nothing. If this were stolen, I would definetly, and I mean definetly go back and buy it again. // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: Guitarman 94, on july 14, 2006

Sound: This is the sound of the best of the best. The greatest of the great. Well you get the idea. This is the sound of the people who invented the word rock! It's the rock Gods themselfs with not one but two greatest hits albums. The first disc has the most recognized intro in the world "Stairway". Disc 2 has hits like "Kashmir" and "Ten Years Gone". With The singing of the legend Robert Plant and great solos of guitar god Jimmy Page. Mr. John Paul Jones on bass in "Dazed And Confused" and the man who invented new beats in his own style John Bonham. This is truly the greatest sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Led Zeppelin are great! When you here the first words come out of Robert Plant's mouth on "Since I've Been Loving You" you start to melt inside. When the "immagrent song" comes on you want to shout with them. While the lyrics in "Stairway To Heaven" are the most meaningful lyrics a person can make and so to you Jimmy Page and you Robert Plant I thank you. // 10

Overall Impression: This is awesome! Nothing compares with this. No one compares to them. This is rock n'roll at its finest. If some stole this I would chace them down and kick there ass, but then again who would'nt want to steal this. Led Zeppelin to me is the greatest band to walk the earth. The only bad thing I have to say about this CD is where is "Heartbreaker"? Other than that it's great! The first disc has "Good Times, Bad Times" all the way to "Stairway To Heaven". As for the second disc it has hits like "The Song Remains The Same" and "In The Evening". // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: vOx 06, on october 16, 2006

Sound: This album has heavy rock and nice acoustic sounding songs like stairway to heaven. Then of course there's Jimmy Paige with some of the most amazing solos ever. It has all the best zepplin songs. The only song I know that are really good and these two CDs don't have is heartbreaker which is a bummer because you can't get zepplin on Napster or anywhere like that, but I can Live without it. I'm not I big fan of the big long drum solos with weird noises like in the song Whole lotta love. That is the only reason I give it a 9 instead of a 10. // 9

Lyrics: Robert Plant is the lead singer and I think he's pretty good. I'm not really someone who pays as much attention to the Lyrics but they are good. There are good lyrics in stairway to heaven and good times bad times. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't have any Zepplin CDs other than this one because I have no need for any more. All I need is on this CD. There is a total of 23 songs. The best songs are: Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Ten Years Gone, and In The Evening. If this were lost I would defenatly buy the same. This is a must for any Led Zepplin fans who love Jimmy Paige. // 10

The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Reviewed by: chigdig, on april 20, 2007

Sound: Well, what can I say about this band, I listened to the Early Days album once and they automatically became my favorite band ever. Just by listening to the album you can see that Led Zeppelin made rock music what it is today. Basically there's a bit of Led Zeppelin in every rocker. It takes you through the Led Zeppelin journey from Led Zeppelin I to the death of John Bonham. The thing that hits you in the face on the album is that Jimmy Page was a riff master. He demonstrates this in Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog. Page also shows his immense arranging skill and tasty solo work in the greatest song of all time, 'Stairway to Heaven' which is undoubtedly the hi light of the album. In fact, the whole band is like a dream team line. Jimmy Page, lead guitar, as I have just described is simply a legend; Robert Plant, lead vocals, has a unique voice and a mammoth vocal range while he seems like a real poet or word smith as he showcases in the glorious 'Stairway to Heaven'; John Bonham is the best Rock 'n' Roll drummer of all time, he is like a machine; and finally the highly underrated John Paul Jones on the bass who gives the band an edge with has simple but effective bass line like in Dazed and Confused and Immigrant Song. // 10

Lyrics: As I have said Robert Plant is a great vocalist is he is not afraid to express himself. He reels you into every song with his high charged emotion. His lyrics and vocal work in 'Stairway to Heaven' will make you cry! Every song has ingenious lyrics put into them. It's like Edgar Alan Poe meets rock music. // 10

Overall Impression: If all the songs go on for about 10 minutes you'd think you'd get bored of them but no, it is the stuff of legends. Everything Led Zeppelin touch they turn to gold; every second of every song is infectiously memorable. Arguably the greatest compilation of all time, buy it now! // 10

Comments