The Song Remains The Same review by Led Zeppelin

• Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same

Okay, everyone knows that Led Zeppelin has a killer sound, but the question is; do they show it on this live album. As much as I think Zeppelin is a good band, I have to say that this album misses the mark. Some think of this as an official live album, others think that it is a soundtrack, however this album is proably the worst from Led Zeppelin, and isn't anywhere near as good as "How The West Was Won".

Led Zeppelin's lyrics aren't Bob Dylan good, but they are good, however there is far more to an album than lyrics. Here is my personal review of each song: Disc 1 01. Rock And Roll - this is 100% the best song on the first disc. It is electrifying and probably the best live recording of this song, however Robert Plant doesn't sound like he does on the original version. 02. Celebration Day - a mediocre song, with a mediocre performance. They started out the album beautifully, and continued it badly. 03. The Song Remains The Same - this song is actually pretty good. Good drum playing, and the second best on the disc. 04. The Rain Song - not that great. It's just okay, but you won't listen to this and say, "Wow, this is awesome". It just okay, but boring. 05. Dazed And Confused - you see this and think, "Aww man, a live 'Dazed And Confused', that's gonna be awesome", well... it isn't. The song is WAY too long, and I like long songs. Trust me, my favorite band is the Allman Brothers Band and they have some long songs, so why don't I like "Dazed And Confused (Live)" you ask. Well ABB's song are entertaining all the way through, but this song is just a bore and it takes effort to listen to the whole thing. Disc 2 01. No Quater - the version on this album is better than the original, but thats like saying the second Scoobey-Doo movie was better than the first. They're both not that great. 02. Stairway To Heaven - finally, an awesome song again. This song is the best on the album. No live version could beat the original, but this comes very close. Jimmy Page has a great solo, and this is the best live version. 03. Moby Dick - you just heard "Stairway To Heaven", and the album could have ended with the best closer possible, but Bonham said "Hey guys, lets play 'Moby Dick!'." The song is a bore and the drum solo goes way too long. Nothing more to say. 04. Whole Lotta Love - this is the closer for the album and here is what it is; a bad version of a good song. Too long and too boring.

This is obviously Zeppelin's worst album. Although "Stairway To Heaven" and "Rock And Roll" are good, every other song is either okay, or boring. If you want a good live album from Led Zeppelin, get "How The West Was Won", and if you want a great live album from anyone, here's some good recommendations; "Live At Fillmore East", Allman Brothers Band; "The Concert For Bangladesh", George Harrison; "Lotus", Santana. There is only one reason to get this album. if you're a die-hard Zeppelin fan who just absolutely has to have every album and compilation to make your collection perfect, but for those of you who want an album that's live and awesome, don't get this. I like Zeppelin a lot, but this album is a swing and a miss.

CoreysMonster
    you think the Rain Song is boring? Your a girl, aren't you? seriously, all the girls i know hate that song (and Baby since i've been lovin you) but all the guys i know love both.
    DoTheEvolution
    What? This album is a great live album. Celebration Day is awesome on this album. So is Rain Song. It's a beautiful song and it's made better live. I also don't see how Dazed and Confused gets boring. I enjoy it the whole way through. I don't know where you are coming from with this. But anyways I void this opinion solely on the fact that you think the recorded verison is better than any live verison. You are the first person to ever say that.
    Four Symbols
    I respect your opinion, but I don't think you should go advertising for Allman Brothers Band album. This is a review on a Led Zeppelin album--that's totally irrelevant.
    Dave_young
    o dear the clown hu wrote the review is gettin sum serious abuse... not surprised either jimmy page is a genius so is every1 in zep!!!
    Big_MC
    The Wanton : Mr Montoya is in need of some respect, not only for rock n roll but for himself! dude, why dont you try listening to the song properly...put your ibanez down n listen.
    lol i resent this comment because i play an ibanez and enjoy every second of every zeppelin song.....to the writer.....the long songs (dazed and confused/whole lotta love/ moby dick) are a showcase of insane talent for the members of led zeppelin and anyone who appreciates pure musicainship can see that.....yer just some knob who decided to write about something you didnt like.....know what your talking about first
    5thhorseman
    I'm just surprised an allman brother's fan can't like other forms of instramental experimentation in songs. Zeppelin's philosophy of not simply replaying a song off their ablum's was awesome.
    Dirtydeeds468
    The Wanton wrote: mr dirtydeeds, open insulting such as "mindless fanboy" is what i'd expect from someone of your intellect. If its abit of confrontation your after, atleast do it properly, what a novice.
    Thanks for insulting my intelligence. I really appreciate it. I believe I have the right to call someone a 'mindless fanboy' after they have posted such comments as "Mr Montoya is in need of some respect, not only for rock n roll but for himself! dude, why dont you try listening to the song properly...put your ibanez down n listen." And.. "Just trying to educate this poor boys mind" For Christ's sake, the guy was posting an opinion on an album, not confronting the leader of the United Nations! This album has been widely regarded by some pretty unbiased sources (including the reviewer) as a weak Zeppelin album, and frankly, I have to agree with him. It's only when 'mindless Zeppelin fanboys' such as yourself go around acting like everyone has to enjoy every single album and every single song that a problem arises.
    bambi_slaughter
    man...how could you not like this...this cd (and the movie)are what turned me onto led zeppelin. only suggestion i have is smoke alot of pot then watch the movie...could work...i unno..
    mkfx
    moby dick drum solo way too long???? my man.. that solo is legendary.
    Glen'sHeroicAct
    ShredFreak101
    I dont want be rude, but led zeppelin is incredible live, and i disagree w/ you. and the moby dick solo is legendary, i agree w/ mkfx. i will not question your intelligiance but i disagree w/ a lot of reviews of songs
    Acoustix
    ahaha... Genius?! ahahahahaha
    shine_on
    [Creative Name] wrote: OMG RAIN SONG BORING!!!!! No the rain song rocks and Dazed and Confused doesn't get boring it's awsome the whole way through. I prefer the live versions of Stairway To Heaven better than the studio usually, the instruments are just better and Plant usually matches his studio preformance.[/quote] i agree with everything u said apart from saying that plant usually matches his studio performance, dude he outdoes his studio performance by a mile, thats the beauty of zep man, that goes for jimbo, jonsey and bonzo to. P.S-common roger waters, i know your out there and i know you wana do one last reunion tour. that goes for you to mr gilmour,you two need to set your differences aside and give us one more concert.....PLEASE!!!
    adam sg
    johnsonville, you're a compleet idiot!
    Mojo89
    i agree that dazed and confussed rambles on wayy. too long. But no quarter? that shit the mad notez! you need to get some taste in music son. do some drugs or some thing. moby dick drags on far too long as it does in "how the west was won". im pumped for the re-release with 6 new songs.
    LightningHands
    i haven't heard this album, but i must say that 26 minutes of any song is a bit too much, and isn't the studio one like 6 or 7 mins? why stretch it out that much?
    Johnsonville
    adam sg wrote: Acoustix wrote: Johnsonville wrote: This is the same dick that said ooo Bullet in a bible is a genius album ahaha... Genius?! ahahahahaha johnsonville, you're a compleet idiot!
    actually u are i never said bullet in a bible was genius i said the dick who reviewed this cd was the same dick who said green day was genius u dumb loser
    Diceman42
    The ghost of Peter Grant will come and bash your nether regions in with a bat.
    TheNextPage23
    THIS ALBUM IS AWESOME!!!! TOO LONG MY ASS, IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO POUND AWAY AT THE DRUMS FOR 12 MINUTES!! AND JIMMY PAGE IS A MASTER AT SOLOS, TOO LONG???? MORE LIKE TOO SHORT
    ECwomantoneman
    How the **** can you say No Quarter was crap and compare it to scooby doo? ****ing retard if you ask me
    Baz1211991
    why are people bashing dirtydeeds when he is voicing an opinion? I loved this album, he hates it, that's his opinion, diagree and state your points but go no further.
    orange_juice
    i personnaly like the live version better. (for the amazing solo)
    alexgrantrocks
    yeh the dude who typed that s**t about the song remains the same should get the S**t kicked out of him by bonham and grant
    zoso1016
    yeah, when i listened to "the rain song" the first thing I said was "wow, that was awesome!" so put that in your bong and smoke it. and "dazed and confused" doesn't take "effort" to listen to. last time i listened to it, I just sat there and again was like, "wow that was awesome!" so put roll that in your rolling paper and smoke it.
    Dirtydeeds468
    Glen'sHeroicAct wrote: dirtydeeds just needs to listen to some real music instead of melting his mind with repettitive acdc songs, and appreciate the music not for whether it makes him get that warm little feeling inside, but for how much talent it actually takes to produce this calibre of music. im leaving now so dirtydeeds feel free to bash me constantly after this with no comebacks to stop you.
    Uhhh...Excuse me? I believe that I'll listen to whatever the fu ck I want to listen to. Don't you dare tell me what to appreciate, I recognize talent when I see it. And believe me, this album is crap compared to other Zeppelin albums. I would also rather you not insult my intellect, as your poor grammar doesn't exactly elevate you to a higher status than myself.
    SP_NIRVANA
    Wow, I really love all those songs and Moby Dick is definetly one of my favourites.
    War_Ensamble
    zeppelin are gods i never heard this live album but, hey, its zeppelin so its gotta be good
    Skilgannon
    This is not boring at all! I cannot believe you do not like the Rain Song, I agree, you must be a girl. I have seen the dvd of this too, and it is brilliant. I fail to see how it is boring.
    [Creative Name]
    adam sg
    led zeppelin is briliant! and the rain song, it's not even close to boring, you idiot!
    pe_666
    Lol the dazed and confused live from the song remains the same is one of the best versions i've ever heard it seems to me that you just dont like the real zeppelin :s
    !@#$
    No Quarter's gotta by one of the kewlest songs. tsk tsk
    Username00
    I'm a girl and i love the rain song. and since I've been loving you is one of my favorites from zeppelin. I've never heard this album, but There is no way the rain song and dazed and confused can be described as boring. I say that you don't have much appreciation from insturmental songs. A good live album would be BBC Sessions. I havent really checked out how the west was won, but I've seen the Led Zeppelin DVD, and it's amazing.
    _TheWorst
    Haha, are you kidding? The 26 minute Dazed and Confused is what made me get this dvd. It's continuously wicked. It seems like you only really enjoyed the "big songs" of Zepp and while I can't fault you for it, I can comment that you're not very open to the non-"big hit" songs that fill out Zepp's sound.
    dash_right
    i think u gotta play guitar to actually aprecciate this album boy instead of jus dissin some good albums cuz u couldnt play guitr
    Nilcerise
    who really cares honestly led zeppelin rocks either way and dude i suggest you play some type of instruments to actaully get in tune to what you are listening to because all im hearing is a nothing talk about nothing basically stating never make a led zeppelin review ever in your short little life
    arick
    if you thought the album was bad, see the movie. its terrible, but istill agree that this was a weak one for zeplin, older stuff was better.
    The Wanton
    Nilcerise
    somehow shit i post never gets up so ill try to explain this as well as before first of all man i would say learn some instrumental respondings so you can actaully clearly state something about music second never make a led zeppelin review again if its going to make no sense and clearly state that you are just not a true rock informist
    Howe-n-Harrison
    yea wtf this albums awesome, u musnt be a zep fan becuz if u think there versions of dazed and confused and whoel lotta love too long, well thats zeppelin, try to find a perforance where its not, and how can u not like celebration day and rain song, u dont knwo page's true talent