The Song Remains The Same [DVD] review by Led Zeppelin

• Released: Dec 21, 1999
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same [DVD]

In this DVD Led Zeppelin hits the stage and play a large list of hard rock/blues hits. You can see that the band was influenced by a lot of American Blues legends like Robert Johnson, Son House, and Muddy Waters. This DVD features a little bit of everything from blues, rock, heavy metal, and jazz.

Content — 10
Well, I got the 2 disc edition. The first disc features the regular film, which is mostly footage at Madison Square Garden in 1973 when Led Zeppelin played. Each band member also has their own little fantasy sequence as well as footage of each band member at home with their families. The first song played on the first disc is 'Rock and Roll', which is a great, upbeat rock and roll song that sounds nice and to the point. After that song, there is 'Black Dog', which is one of the best songs played on the DVD. This is probably Robert Plant's best performance on the DVD. After 'Black Dog' there is 'Since I've Been Loving You'. 'Since I've Been Loving You' is a great blues song that features some of Jimmy Page's best improvisions to date. This is probably my favorite song on the DVD. Afterward comes 'No Quarter' which features a long keyboard piece along with John Paul Jones fantasy sequence. Then there is the great track 'The Song Remains The Same' which is a good song played on Jimmy Page's double-necked Gibson. This song is also the start to Robert Plant's fantasy sequence. Then there is 'The Rain Song'. 'The Rain Song' sounds great and more "real" than the original. 'The Rain Song' also features the rest of Robert Plant's fantasy sequence. Next is the bass guitar notes that made Led Zeppelin famous, which starts of 'Dazed and Confused'. 'Dazed and Confused' is a really stretched out song on the DVD. It has the begin, followed by the violin bow guitar solo, as well as Jimmy Pages fantasy sequence. The song concludes after Jimmy's guitar solo. Then the setlist settles down with one of Led Zeppelin's best songs, 'Stairway to Heaven'. This song sounds way different than the studio verzion, because Jimmy's picking pattern has a different speed to it, making it a new song almost. After the climatic ending to 'Stairway to Heaven', the song 'Moby Dick' begins. This song starts with the famous guitar piece and then is followed by John Bonham's drum solo and fantasy sequence, which is the last sequence on the DVD. After 'Moby Dick' there is two songs left on the DVD. 'Heartbreaker' and 'Whole Lotta Love'. These two songs flow together and feature some clips of the bank robbery which can also be veiwed on the second disc. The second disc features another 4 songs. 'The Ocean', 'Misty Moutain Hop', and the two never before seen videos of 'Celebration Day' and 'Over the Hills and Far Away'. There is also a interveiw, a clip of Tampa News report, and more. If you are a Led Zeppelin fan don't pass up this DVD.

Production Quality — 10
The original film remained the way you should remember, and the bonus content is more than I have ever seen on a concert DVD. The camera angles are amazing, and so is the sound quality. I also liked the DVD case, since it contained images of the film that you wouldn't think would get reconised. Everything is amazing.

This is one of the greatest DVDs ever released. The most impressive thing on this DVD is the fact that you get some of the concert, some stuff from backstage, fantasy sequences, family sequences, interveiws, old news reports and everything you could ask for. It is filled with so much stuff about Led Zeppelin. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't have to think about buying it again, I head straight to the store and buy it again. If you like Led Zeppelin, this will be your prized possesion after you buy it.

Tomhigton
    The wierd acting parts are to fill in the gaps missed by stoned camera men. Jimmy Page says so in December's guitar world.
    highway_star
    Ha! ha! I think Jimmy is taking the piss! these fantasy sequences were all planned out by each member of the band and it really annoys the crap out of me in the Rain Song where I have always loved the guitar work but have to put up with Plant pretending to be a Viking! presumably Jimmy didnt mention how heavily spliced the film is to cut out bum notes on guitar solos and vocals! still a good film for all that, saw it when it first came out and have the DVD too
    jakethesnakeLP
    u know, Ill probably be bashed for saying this, so I''m going to protect myself by saying that Page is my favorite guitarist. But, I must critisize him for oversoloing. Halfway thru the movie, begin to notice the same licks played over and over again in the half hour guitar solos. Still, the band brought to the table wat no other band could ever replicate: charisma.
    Terrapin Man
    noone had told me about the dvd except that there was a really good version of since ive been loving you (which i didnt find as good as the original which was amazing in every way) so the mob hit at the beginning completely threw me off but over all very goo i especially enjoyed no quarter