The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Review

artist: Led Zeppelin date: 08/31/2009 category: compact discs
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same [DVD]
Released: December 21, 1999
For Led Zeppelin fanatics, this 1976 feature The Song Remains the Same is a treasure of searing live performances, particularly welcome in light of the sad scarcity of such visual material from the band's great decade.
 Content: 8.9
 Production Quality: 8.6
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
 1,955
The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: schfiftyfive, on february 01, 2006

Sound: Led Zeppelin have always been my favourite band but since I saw this I have a whole new respect for them. After you watch this you'll realize how good Jimmy Page really is, especially on the 25 minute Dazed And Confused where he plays with a violin bow, it's crazy. Robert Plant was pretty good but I think he could of sang a bit better. John Bonham's drum solo in Moby Dick is very impressive. And John Paul Jones plays the bass and keyboard very solidly. The begining is very wierd. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very good DVD, every Zep fan should have it. If you don't get it now you can't afford not to have it. It's pretty amzing if you think about it, Led Zeppelin where only around for 4 years when this concert took place and they already had that many amazing songs, plus alot more that arn't on this. Led Zeppelin truly are the best band of all time! // 10

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: bruckster15, on december 03, 2004

Sound: Listening to Led Zeppelin on a CD is awesome. But seeing them live is a whole differnt experience. You really don't know how good Jimmy Page is unless you have seen him live. Its so good that every solo is beter than the legendary heartbraker! And the bow is unexplainable its so awesome. The only complaint is the singing sometimes wasn't perfected but its sweet when Robert Plant screams. // 10

Overall Impression: If your a Led Zeppelin fan or clasic rock fan you have to get this. It's so awesome seeing them live you can't say that there not the greatest band ever! // 10

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: Twist of fate, on august 14, 2006

Sound: Hey I rented the Song remains the same on Thurday and I thought it was amazing. It had a few flaws and was boring at a few parts but overall I'd give it an 8 out of 10. In the DVD, there were some shots of John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Bonham with their families in England. Actually for Page they didn't show him with his family, They showed him listening to music by a river. // 8

Overall Impression: No it doesnt't compare to other albums or artists. The most impressive performance on this was the performance of Stairway to Heaven. I hated how some songs were over extended and didn't have a good rhythm. Yes, I would buy it again. I really reccomend this DVD to all Led Zeppelin fans. // 8

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: eckmann88, on february 22, 2007

Sound: Filmed at the band's prime, Zep are together as a whole, and deliver a sense of true musical force. Both the metal Zeppelin and the blues Zeppelin come together in one truly awe-inspiring sound. Page shows the true extent of his talent, from using a violin bow during Dazed And Confused, to the raw force behind Black Dog, all climaxing during one of his greatest performances, Stairway To Heaven. A must-have for any for of Zeppelin, or rock music as a whole. // 10

Overall Impression: I, owning many concert DVDs ranging from The Who to Bon Jovi to Queen, must say that this is my favorite. Had this been stolen, I would ush to the video store to buy another copy. Yes, many of the fantasy sequences were unnecessary, but they contribute to the overall feel of the film. I strongly recommend that any fan of Zep, classic rock, or music in general purchase this film, now. That's not a suggestion, that's a command. Okay, it is a suggestion. And I suggest you rush to the video store. // 9

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: jerryhendrix, on june 02, 2006

Sound: It was great to see Led Zeppelin put out a DVD. The sonbgs on this DVD blow the studio songs out of the water. The usuall blues rock stytle of Zeppelin is evident through out the DVD also the "heavy metal" side of Zeppelin is shown in songs like Black Dog and Rock And Roll (which are also the first two songs on the DVD) this was the first DVD released by Led Zeppelin and was a nice start, I recommend this. // 8

Overall Impression: This DVD made me wish I lived back in the '70s. They are the most influential rock band of all time and their concert footage was very impressive as was the music. I love this DVD but it doesn't compare to the Led Zeppelin DVD put out in 2003 (Led Zeppelin DVD) so if it was lost or stolen I would just buy the Led Zeppelin DVD instead. // 8

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: SRV16, on august 21, 2006

Sound: The sound and music was amazing, a brilliant concert. The DVD showed happy secluded images of the band in the countryside, and some clips of non music Led Zeppelin. Blues and Rock where the main style, Jimmy Pages plays with a violin bow in one of the songs. Jimmy Page plays a double necked guitar in Stairway To Heaven. // 10

Overall Impression: I prefer the Led Zeppelin Albums because some of the songs went on a bit admittedly, it was not a big problem but I prefer the general recorded music, although new exciting solos happened live so it's good with the bad. The best thing was Stairway To Heaven, it's incredible and had some cool effects, it was the most impressive thing on the DVD. I loved the music because it's Led Zeppelin always good, I hate the faffing around because some of it's boring and disrupts the flow of the gig. I'd buy it again because it's fantastic. // 7

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: cheeseisthebomb, on january 21, 2008

Sound: In this DVD Led Zeppelin hits the stage and play a large list of hard rock/blues hits. You can see that the band was influenced by a lot of American Blues legends like Robert Johnson, Son House, and Muddy Waters. This DVD features a little bit of everything from blues, rock, heavy metal, and jazz. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest DVDs ever released. The most impressive thing on this DVD is the fact that you get some of the concert, some stuff from backstage, fantasy sequences, family sequences, interveiws, old news reports and everything you could ask for. It is filled with so much stuff about Led Zeppelin. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't have to think about buying it again, I head straight to the store and buy it again. If you like Led Zeppelin, this will be your prized possesion after you buy it. // 10

The Song Remains The Same [DVD] Reviewed by: who1973, on august 31, 2009

Sound: Led Zeppelin is, without a doubt, one of the greatest bands to walk on the face of the Earth. Every single one of their albums, even their weaker albums like 'In Through the Out Door', still blow my mind. Needless to say, the music here is excellent. My only complaint? I wouldn't have chosen the '73 Madison Sqaure Garden Concerts to use for a live concert film. They were the last shows of the tour, and by then, the band was worn out, and it shows here. John Bonham's "Moby Dick" drum solo, while still a highlight, isn't quite as long or impressive as other shows on the tour, as revealed by bootleg performances. Nonetheless, Jimmy Page's performance on "Stairway to Heaven" is still the moment that not only turned me into a Led Zeppelin fan, but more importantly inspired me to want to play guitar. That alone makes this DVD hold an extremely important place in my collection. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this disc belongs in every Zep fan's library. While some will argue the self-titled "Led Zeppelin" concert DVD released in 2003 is a better overall experience, I feel it is a little overwhelming - there's about 6 hours worth of material on it and several repeated songs - and "The Song Remains the Same" is a better, more definite experience, which allows you to experience what it was like to be a Zep fan back when they were in their prime. The most impressive thing on this DVD set is the bonus material and the remastering. I love everything about it - it is Zep after all. Well, except for the fantasy sequences, but I still don't really hate those. They may be cheesy, but in a fun Led Zeppelin kind of way. If it were stolen or lost...Of course I'd buy it again, it's Zeppelin man! You can't replace that. // 9

Comments