49% Motherf--ker, 51% Son Of A Bitch [DVD] review by Lemmy

• Released: Feb 15, 2011
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Lemmy: 49% Motherf--ker, 51% Son Of A Bitch [DVD]

If there's one thing that becomes immediately evident in the documentary film Lemmy: 49% Motherf--ker, 51% Son of a Bitch, it's that the iconic Motorhead frontman is more of an enigma that you can ever fathom. Filmmakers Greg Olliver and Wes Orshoski spent four years capturing the most detailed image possible of Lemmy Kilmister, a man who although does in many ways still convey the essence of a metal badass, is just as much an average Joe like the rest of us. Lemmy premiered at SXSW in 2010 and is now available as two-DVD release over three hours of bonus footage. So if you've ever wanted to know more about the man behind Ace of Spades, little will be left to the imagination after checking the documentary out. Olliver and Orshoski kick everything off with a bevy of Motorhead fans proclaiming Lemmy's legend. I don't think it was put better than when one avid fan declared that the only thing left on earth after a nuclear explosion will be cockroaches and Lemmy. At the age of 65, Lemmy does seem to be the veritable Energizer Bunny, unscathed by years of living to excess. Both the frontman and various musicians detail just how hard that Lemmy has lived (the Reverend Horton Heat aka Jim Heath even claimed Kilmister gave him alcohol poisoning), but there are just as many stories as to the fairly trite and benign activities that make up the day to day life of Lemmy. There are plenty of musical moments along the way as one might expect, with a good chunk of footage devoted to Lemmy jamming with Metallica. If you're not fond of Hetfield and the gang, this might be slightly annoying, but it goes to show that even Metallica (particularly Lars) worship Lemmy. The gruff, imperfect nature of Lemmy's performance isn't sugarcoated, and the filmmakers at one point go into the studio where the singer/bassist is asked to do several vocal takes until he gets it right. And if you ever wondered where Lemmy garners his inspiration, the film reiterates time and again who the singer believes is the best rock vocalist of all time: Little Richard.

Content — 10
The fact that there is over three hours of bonus footage alone makes Lemmy: 49% Motherf--ker, 51% Son of a Bitch an absolutely worthwhile viewing choice. The first disk includes the 117-minute documentary film, while the second DVD features such extras as The Sweet Side of Lemmy (Alice In Chains Mike Inez calls Lemmy a softy), a behind-the-scenes look at the ups and downs of following Lemmy around for four years, a lengthy conversation between Lemmy and Dave Grohl, the making of the album Motrizer, and much, much, much more. The documentary itself is jam-packed with content, and you'll probably never get the image out of your mind of Lemmy's massive WWII collection not to mention his humble living quarters.

Production Quality — 10
The documentary's driving force is the storytelling involved, and there is certainly a straightforward approach that never gets too artsy. The most impressive aspect of the quality is knowing that Olliver and Orshoski must have spent hours and hours sifting through everything. From Lemmy making chips to talking about his son, it's all enthralling. Lemmy: 49% Motherf--ker, 51% Son of a Bitch also has star quality for better or worse and Metallica, Slash, Dave Navarro, and a bevy of other celebs show up along the way.

Whether or not you're already fascinated with Lemmy Kilmister, there's a strong chance you'll find the Motorhead frontman to have a captivating story after viewing this documentary. If he just lived one crazy adventure after another, it might be considered trite. But this is a case where Lemmy is more like you and me than you might expect. In many ways there is an underlying sadness to Lemmy (choosing rock and roll over true love is one of the topics discussed), but in the same token you come away from the film knowing that Lemmy Kilmister will still probably outlast all of us.

Matt i am
    GidBass
    49% Motherf--ker, 51% Son Of A Bitch Couldn't be more straight to the point
    MR.ParKs
    Matt i am wrote: if lemmy and god were to get in a fight who would win trick question lemmy is god
    DAMN IT! Beat me to it, ya bastard. FUCK YOU MAN, beat me to it
    miauwmjam
    In a magazine from a couple of years ago (I have it ofcourse) Lemmy says he had sex with a man who had a sex change operation to become a woman. The reason: "If he has the guts to have his weewee removed, I have the guts to f him." Brilliant!
    Damaged Roses
    jrandmb wrote: i_eat_souls wrote: I like motorhead, they're like the archetype of every ****ing bar band ever, everybody knows them, but their really not that musically extraordinary. Their riffs are easy as ****, Lemmy is not that great a vocalist, just kinda growling everything, but their still kickass, they rule, but I'm not really sure why. Simply, Motorhead are pure rock 'n' roll. That's why they rule. agreed. the simplicity makes them the kings of rock'n'roll!
    Man, do you understand what have you said? That makes Slipknot the kings of metal...
    rickyj
    EpiExplorer wrote: I reaaaaally wanna watch this...
    it was on vh1 classic the other day, check there
    EpiExplorer
    OdderOne wrote: Chaingarden wrote: Lemmy's awesome, but he's got a weak handshake. That made me kind of sad. Don't worry, that is as strong as Lemmy the Rock God can shake your hand without completely crushing it. The slightest increase of effort to him and he would end up breaking your hand in more places than you thought possible.
    Lemmy broke Chuck Norris' fingers by shaking his hand.
    OdderOne
    suicidehummer
    I watched it and was disappointed Lemmy wrote off The Darkness as a "novelty act" after only hearing one of their songs. I love The Darkness, and if you listen to their back catalogue, you'll see they were a true rock band on par with the greats. "Blind Man" could easily have been a classic Queen track.
    Jdderbys
    the bit where he demonstrates how most people play the bass then shows how he plays it has me smiling every time i think about it. He is rock n roll
    AmottPetrucci61
    I met him at Vancouver airport the day after his show when he was flying to Winnipeg I belive and I found his handshake not heavy but not light either. But it was cool to see he looked me dead in the eye. He seemed really appreciative to sign my autograph.
    khujo1023
    They get in, tear it up and get out... Cant get more Rock N Roll.
    Shabalaba
    Saw it the other night, really great watch Plus a girl who moved from my old high school in year 8 was interviewed at lemmys old school. Was really weird to see her after all these years in this video haha. Recommend it any day of the week.
    pono88
    This movie is awesome. It totally gives you a glimpse of what the REAL rock and roll lifestyle is all about. Even if you don't like Motorhead or even if you don't care for Lemmy if you like Rock and Roll you need to watch this.
    ed_the_head
    that is the most badass title i have seen in a while. but Lemmy is the most badass guy of all times so it is just perfect.
    Ted K
    agreed. the simplicity makes them the kings of rock'n'roll!
    jrandmb
    Simply, Motorhead are pure rock 'n' roll. That's why they rule.
    i_eat_souls
    kayno86
    There are two types of people in the world. There is Lemmy, and then there is the rest of us.