It Is Time For A Love Revolution review by Lenny Kravitz

• Released: Feb 5, 2008
Lenny Kravitz: It Is Time For A Love Revolution

Lenny Kravitz has returned with his blend of nostalgic fuzz rock and hippie pop resonating through his latest release It Is Time For A Love Revolution from Virgin Records. Produced and arranged by Lenny Kravitz, the album has a Sgt. Pepper's feel permeating it's psychedelic leanings and a soul rock filament lighting it's melodic flow. The songs have the effect of a sonic aphrodisiac harnessing swirls of guitar rock and orchestral tones filling up the drum swells. Tracks like If You Want It' and Dancin' Til Dawn devise slopes of highs and lows and groves of funky horns traipsing through the latter. Kravitz still shows signs of Prince's funk-rock gyrations in tunes like Love Love Love and Will You Marry Me, and slices of classic rock with a Jimi Hendrix stylizing on numbers like Love Revolution and Bring It On. Kravitz also delves into complimenting feng shui patterns using modern orchestral textures and classic piano bolts on songs like I'll Be Waiting and the gentle swaying tempo of I Want To Go Home. The wispy ballad A New Door is relatable to Joe Cocker's single You Are So Beautiful To Me and the soft rock guitar riffs and vocal overdubs of A Long And Sad Goodbye have meaningful lyrics and a pensive aura reminiscent of Ozzy Osbourne's hit song Mama I'm Coming Home. On the surface, Kravitz and Osbourne are on different sides of the music spectrum. Kravitz, being American, puts soul and funk into his rock mixtures, whereas Osbourne, coming from England, has a heavy metal background, but after listening to A Long And Sad Goodbye, Kravitz and Osbourne sound like they could have come from the same household. Kravitz really expands on his talent for creating memorable melodic hooks on It Is Time For A Love Revolution, though his voice sounds exactly the same as you may remember it from his single Are You Gonna Go My Way.

Kravitz's lyrics are reflections about life with words of love strewing Will You Marry Me to words about sorrow in I Love The Rain, but some of the lyrics which really penetrate the listener's thoughts are from A Long And Sad Goodbye. Kravitz cries out in the song, Papa, who's to blame/ Why you never made your fortune and fame/ Papa, what do you gain/ To leave the love you had for a two-bit dame/ Papa, why do you turn your back/ Why don't you stay on track/ Why do you leave and make her cry/ Papa, you mean the world to me/ Why do you abandon me/ Now it's a long and sad goodbye. There is always someone in your life who makes you feel like you've been abandoned, which really makes these lyrics dig in deep into those wounds. The music and vocals are really well done and crafted to make optimal impact on the listener.

If you are familiar with and liked Lenny Kravitz's past hits like I Build This Garden For Us, Mama Said, and It Ain't Over Til It's Over, then these songs are no surprise to you and this album is sure to be to your liking. The album is less club music and more classic rock studded, something like Earth, Wind and Fire meets The Eagles especially on the track Back In Vietnam. There is an omnipresence of the '60s Haight-Ashbury music blowing through Kravitz's songs, which is a wind that has blown through his previous albums and It Is Time For A Love Revolution is no exception.

red157
    SideshowRaven24
    freakypop wrote: its not that he isent good at guitar its that he hasent tooken enoth acid to sound like jimi
    haha wow
    rhyme2zone
    me being a heavy metal, hard rock, any other type of metal except deathcore fan, find this type of music very very good and soothing. Very vintage and i love his guitar playing.
    Bling Dogg
    dsotm73 wrote: I'm not surprised by the some comments here...this site (not all, but a lot) is full of metal heads and close-minded elitist people who are too full of themselves to open their minds to different music. Lenny Kravitz kicks ass, he writes great music, it's catchy, it sells (most of his albums are platinum or higher), he puts on one of the best shows I've ever been to, and he's a TRUE musician, no lip-syncing or dubs during his concerts, he's straight up rock & roll. So what if the lyrics aren't "Shakespeare" quality? The Beatles' early pop songs were filled with tripe lyrics, and people still love them. Lenny Kravitz is a has become underrated since the end of the 90's, which is really a shame. He's one of the few true straight up rock & rollers left out there and I really hope some of you get your heads out of your asses. This album kicks ass, I'll Be Waiting is such a good song
    Yes!! Thank-you for this great post! I like Lenny Kravitz' music, he's really talented and has been putting out good music for years. There's too many ignorant people here...
    dsotm73
    harrisonmon
    I don't think he sounds like he's hendrix...I don't think he does, either. he's lenny kravitz...hands down, this album kicks some ass...
    ldzppln81
    you guys are *****s. just because he isnt an insane soloist you think he sucks. he has incredible rythm and is a fantastic musician. who plays multiple insruments
    area18hanger51
    it wasn't the who who wrote american woman ore krokus r whatever it was the guess who who wrote it!
    jxmxaxn
    jxmxaxn wrote: I thought it was the who that made it first, but i could be wrong. they may have covered it as well.
    Oops i mean the guess who, or at least thats what my itunes says.
    jxmxaxn
    last_biscuit wrote: mrjimborinsane wrote: lennys ok, that album baptism was ok. the only problem is that all his songs sound the same. true his lyrics can be pretty weak at times, but its ok. i just kinda wish he'd spend less time playing piano and more time on the guitar, like when he did that song "always on the run" with slash, or "mama said", or "american woman". he needs to get a pair and start writing more rock n roll and less soft rock. maybe thats just me tho.. Just pointing out...as for writing more rock songs, he didn't write American Woman. He covered it, the original artist was a band called Krokus (I think).
    last_biscuit
    EMGibson
    number one, the acid thing. it wouldnt help him to make good music anyways. hed probably try to eat his guitar rather than play it. lol number two. hes the one playing on stages, not jerking off at home wishing his name was known by millions. hes doing what im sure at least half of us want to be doing one day. so in that aspect i do give him credit. HOWEVER!!!! his music sucks. the only talent he has is being half clever with mixing his riffs with the tone of his voice. (which isnt hard when youve been playing as long as he has)
    funk-soul-dude
    aeroj06
    i know, he does not think hes hendrix i like lenny, i like the album whatever
    Crimson Ghost
    red157 wrote: This dude has always seemed somewhat of a failure. I'm sure the dude has a skip full of hundred dollar notes, so he's a success in that aspect. But he fails at being good.
    funk-soul-dude wrote: i agree :/ He thinks he's Hendrix but he really isnt. dont get me wrong, he has some catchy tunes, but nothing amazing or ledgendary. he's not as good as he thinks he is. and he's wayyyy too vain!
    you guys are both extremely wrong, i thought he was alright so i decided to go to one of his shows last month ive been to hundreds of shows and that's definitely one of my top ones. He's a great performer and puts on one hell of a show, my friend doesnt even like his music and was blown away after seeing him.
    dgme92
    I dunno, I'm quite fond of his music, and I was thinking of buying the album anyway. His music is just very appealing to my ears, I could listen to 'Fly Away' for an hour solid.
    bwalter32
    i think you ate too much acid to remember how to use the english language.
    mrjimborinsane
    freakypop
    Ixthyx
    He had some funky stuff in the 90s, but without a barrage of guitar riffs and grooves he can't hide his crappy songwriting, and lyrics like "I've been searching for you, I heard a cry within my soul, I've never had a yearning quite like this before, Now here you are walking right through my door" are out on display. I like him, but I wont be buying the CD.
    SchitzoJoe
    Aw, come on, guys. He's not THAT bad. I might even check this album out. True, he may be big-headed, but this album might not be too bad.
    metal_dan
    i don't know how he keeps making music; it seems like every one of his records has been a dud ever since i can remember can't record companies like... cut you off? like at the bar? alright, lenny. we better call you a cab, you've had way more than enough for tonight.