Hypermagic Mountain review by Lightning Bolt

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Lightning Bolt: Hypermagic Mountain

"Bombastic, face-ripping noise metal." That is Lightning Bolt. It is only 2 guys, a bassist and a drummer. Yet, the noise! It certainly took me many months to learn to appreciate it, but I'm glad I spent the time trying; I've never heard a band like this before. It is kind of like a cross between slipknot without a 'singer', and something between Pendulum and DJ Tiesto. Quite unfathomable, you'll agree, but this is as close a description as I can get. Don't be fooled though, this is essantial noise, but damn, it's good noise! Best idea would be to go listen to some, try youtube, as well it's not much if a buy when 99.9% wont get past the 1 minute mark on the album.

Short answer; there are no decipherable lyrics, the song Birdy has some singing to it, but it's pretty incomprehensible. But this 'music' doesn't need lyrics, the same way DJ Tiesto doesn't need lyrics, there is purely no point, nobody is listening to this for some thought provoking lyrics, you listen to it to get your faced ripped off.

It is certainly original. Although slightly repetative, after the first couple of songs, you know pretty much what's coming from the rest of the album, and although it's not musically very clever, there's a hypnotic quality to it, and I get it. So thumbs up from me, but as much a thumbs up as you can get for "noise metal"

Generic Name
    Nothing like slipknot or Pendulum and I can assume not at all like DJ whoever considering you no nothing about music. Also based on your comments you don't understand lightning bolt.
    ljoekelsoey4
    if i didnt have to give a score for the singing, then id have it at 7.5, but as it is, i need to give a score for the lyics, and there are hardly any, and what there is, its pretty poor.
    legallydead
    you are retarded lightning bolt rules that album is easily a 10 even though wonderful rainbow is better, you need to figure out what your talking about because you obviously have no idea,
    Sliver321123
    Yeah, I'd have to say that this review is idiotic. I don't know anyone who listens to any "noise-rock" "to get [ones] face ripped off". The fact that you said "slipknot without a singer" should prove your absolute lack of understanding of music in any form. "not musically very clever" ?? Are you serious? So should they, for example, be singing lyrics clearly and understandably? Should they be playing at less than 100 bpm, playing 3 chords and the same old rock drum riffs as every other band around? Maybe lyrics aren't necessary. Maybe you don't understand that music is made of parts, each as significant as its context makes it. Maybe you don't "get it".
    experi
    "Slipknot without a singer" or DJ no name face. I think maybe you'd be getting closer if you tried bands like Hella or Comets on Fire. You know, other good bands. Maybe not.