An Eye For An Eye review by Like Moths To Flames

• Released: Jul 9, 2013
Like Moths To Flames: An Eye For An Eye

Let's start with the mix. It sounds great, it's very evenly balanced and nothing is over powered. You get to hear all the usual effects expected on a metalcore album but they are not overused and add to the overall experience. This is a very tight album and is not overproduced which is refreshing in this day and age. The Riffage: Like Moths To Flames are not August Burns Red or All That Remains. What I mean by that is they are not a band heavily focused on their guitar riffs. The guitars are there to play their part in the mix and I ultimately respect the way the album has done this. In drumming it is often respected when a drummer shows discipline and holds back and this album is a good example of the guitarists doing the same. The Drums: I love drums I always have and always will and this album reminds me of why I do. Let me just say the drum kick is f*&%*$g punchy! But on the technical side of it the drums are perfect, they don't overstep their boundaries ever and I personally have a saying that if you don't notice them then they are correct and the drums on this album blend in like a chameleon. I will cover vocals in the next section!

Okay, onto the vocals. Now Lyrically I find it hard to listen to screams and catch what they are saying as easy as I do with singing and what I really mean by that is that I find it hard to remember every word because let's face it, it's not very clear. However I did look up the lyrics to the album and they are your average metalcore lyrics, what can I say it has its place so whatever. Ability The screams are great, a mix of false chord and power fry done to an excellent level. The ability of the vocalist is fantastic and his voice really is enviable to an upcoming screamer. The singing is also good, it's not too whiny which is again refreshing. However I would have appreciated if they had mixed the vocals up a bit more rather then the predictable cleans over the chorus and screams in the verses.

It's 2013. Music is evolving as it always will but not every band / album can be a revolutionary, sometimes we need a band or album to just do it's job and fit the scene. "An Eye For And Eye" is a good example of this, there's nothing you haven't heard before on here and it's not going to be one to remember in 10 years but right now it's hot and it works. The album is overall a fantastically balanced release and at times this is it's down fall as you want to hear something a bit crazy but I'm not complaining. - Breakdowns: Check - Clean Choruses: Check - Heavy Verses: Check If you like bands like Issues, Woe, Is Me, We Came As Romans I'd recommend checking this out. Overall it's a great release I bet the band and their label (Rise) are happy with it.

rubberduckie3
    This album and band as a whole are absolutely fantastic for listening at the gym. The non-stop energy really helps me stay pumped.
    thrashriff90
    Did they rip off their band's name from a Trivium song? That name is awfully similar to "Like Light to the Flies".
    CandyRox27
    I got into this band with "I solemnly swear" and just recently got the entire album.. I personally like it quite a lot so far, but I'm not exactly a metalcore fan and i notice many comments from actual fans of the genre are negative ones.. Maybe thats it, its not as "good metalcore" should be but it appeals to someone like me?
    GRIMBLY65
    Dude! Could someone post tabs to any of the songs on this thing for me? Nothing but blood, I solely swear, and in dreams would be cool. Please >.<