Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Review

Released: Oct 17, 2000
Label: Interscope
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal, Rap-Rock
Chocolate Starfish is a slick, clinical, and flawless platform for Fred Durst's effortlessly savage.
 8.1
 7.9
 2,352
Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 11, 2006

Sound: This third album of bizkit was undeniebly their best. This was the album that set the world on fire with its highly contagious lyrics and its unquestionabally rap metal sound. With hitz like Rollin', My Generation, My Way, and Take A Look Around this is a brilliant all round album. The only possible aspect I found poor was the editing, they should never have come out with the clean version of the album. The album was made dirty let it stay that way. But on the whole it gives a good impression to the listener. // 9

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are decent, when compared to the other albums they aren't so great but they are quite decent. The funniest song has to be Hot dog. There is a minimum of 10 f--ks in each line and I ain't exaggerating. My Generation is another song I found quite kick ass. Fred Durst, the one man army, is brilliant. His voice suits the music played in the background perfectly and limp bizkit actually seems to be a band which is quite influential 'cause of him. // 9

Overall Impression: It is Bizkit's third album, better than Results May Vary by an inch, but not the greatest album I've heard. All the same, one has to hand it over to bizkit for the genre they seem to have perfected. I love the fact that it seems to be the album which one can listen to when in a mood to headbang. But after hearing it for the past year or so, I've begun to find it quite monotonous. None the less, this album is better than all the out of character wannabe albums like Meteora by Linkin Park so I'd recommend you to buy this record, unless you are a soft hearted person who does not like "swearing." This is an album for the adults, who can headbang and bear the word 'f--k' being said in every single sentence. // 9

Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2005

Sound: The sound of their third record "Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water" is really great in my opinion, they do a really good musically job. The music is maybe a little bit too catchy than on the last two records but still creative good work. Wes Borland, Sam Rivers and John Otto are really talented musicians and they own their instruments. Dj Lethal plays on this record just a small role. // 10

Lyrics: I think Fred Durst does his worst work on this record. I mean songs like "Hot Dog" or "Rollin'" are crap but on the otherside songs like "The One," "It'll Be Ok," "Boiler" and "Hold On" are really good in my opinion. Fred plays on this record too much a poser and I don't like that mainstream shit, that's the reason why I rated the lyrics between "2,5/3" and not worst because in my opinon every singer has his own point of view/ideas behind his lyrics. // 6

Overall Impression: It's the most mainstream work which Limp Bizkit have ever done but still a great instrumental work. The lyrics are the worst on the most songs of this record but there a still some songs which are great. That's the reason why I rated it just with a "3,5/4". // 8

Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Reviewed by: khalood87, on july 25, 2011

Sound: When "Chocolate Starfish" was released back in 2000, it was the first time I have heard of Limp Bizkit. Seeing Wes Borland in the video "My Generation" instantly intrigued me. I subsequently bought the album and gave it a shot. It was spectacular. LB's sound is very unique and alien. Their music definitely has that headbang feel to it. The production value is tremendous. The bass riffs are slick and outstanding. Drums are powerful and groovy. The guitars, well, are creative. Although the music lacks technicality, the songs are quite upbeat and memorable. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are quite catchy; despite the fact that "Hot Dog" contains gratuitous swearing/cussing, which strangely enough makes it more funny. Fred Durst's lyrics never seem to make any sense if you concentrate on them. His voice is still loud and aggressive as before, but it is evident that his screaming abilities from the days of "Three Dollar Bill Y'All" are slowly fading away. Nevertheless, he was still capable of delivering some fine lines during some choruses within the album. // 8

Overall Impression: "Chocolate Starfish" is definitely one of LB's best albums, if not THE best, though it does tend to differ slightly from their previous albums. It's hard to mention the most notable songs on the album, as I personally find them all pleasing. However, I do want to point out that "Hold On" may be the most underrated song on the album, so give it a try. On a personal note, I did happen to lose this album once, and I eagerly bought another copy. // 10

Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2005

Sound: I love Linkin Park and a lot of hybrid rock bands so I bought this CD after hearing a couple of tracks on the radio which I thought were ok. To tell the truth this album was a let down. They have some decent catchy guitar riffs and some fairly funky bass but apart from that it sucked. Most of songs seamed to be about the same kinda stuff and by the end the band seamed to be running a little low on inspiration. The last track is 9 minutes 50 seconds, the vast majority of which is pointless conversation and a good 3 minutes of which is taken up by the same guy laughing in annoying 8 second long loops. Poor music all in all. // 4

Lyrics: This has to be the worst aspect of the album. Foolishly I bought the cut version and every couple of seconds the song is interupted by a beep or something when they swear. The worst track for this has to be 'Hot Dog' where most of the song has been edited out as nowadays words such as 'gun' and 'knife' count as swearing. Most of the lyrics are complaining about something or other, or threatening people with chainsaws and fred dursts voice gets kinda annoying after a while. // 2

Overall Impression: This album was possibly one of the worst I bought. Highly contrived and maufactured, it has the classic sound of a band playing their music for financial gain and to further their carrers instead of playing music because thats just what they wanna do. Unfortunately, this album contains the song 'Take A Look Around', an improvised version of the Mission Impossible tune, which I absolutely love. This song completely contradicts the rest of the album, no swearing or death threats, few stupid lyrics and a cool chorus make this track easily my favorite on this album. If I lost this album I definately wouldnt buy it again, but I would download 'Take A Look Around' just to have that track. I would give this album an overall 1, but that one track puts the whole album up to average (thats how good it is in my eyes). So if youre going to follow my advice, don't buy this album, just download that one track 'cause it's the only good thing about Limp Bizkit. // 6

Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Reviewed by: 360ollie, on may 24, 2006

Sound: Limp Bizkit are a good rock band. They are one of my favourite bands because of their funny lyrics and great music. And they have a wide range of songs from hard rock to soft rock and from fast music to slow music. Some of the best songs on the album are Rollin', Take a Look Around (theme tune to Mission Impossible 2) and My Generation. There are to types of the song Rollin', there is the fast one that is most popular and there is a slow one that is longer, more chilled and also features Redman and DMX. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are funny and there is quite a bit of swearing. Fred Durst (the lead singer) is very skilled and almost everyone has heard of him. Also his lyrics go well with the music. Fred Durst sings about a wide range of things from being rejected to love songs to angry songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other Limp Bizkit albums this is my favourite, because it has all the best songs on. They are Rollin', Take A Look Around, My Generation, Hotdog, Livin It Up and The One. If I lost it or it was stolen I would definately buy it again even though I have most of all the songs are on my iPod. // 10

Comments