Gold Cobra review by Limp Bizkit

• Released: Jun 28, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Limp Bizkit: Gold Cobra

Limp Bizkit's return to recording is unsurprising in spite of the band's hiatus in the aftermath of 2005's "The Unquestionable Truth". During that time, only Wes Borland's Black Light Burns project merits serious musical reflection, and on Limp Bizkit's return it is his input that sustains the band. The album's second song - "Bring It Back" - begins with aplomb, Borland's rhythmic riffing initiating a well intentioned track. Unfortunately that impression doesn't last for long, and neither does the track. Nothing happens, and we're onto the title track "Gold Cobra". Borland's guitar playing yet again gives so much hope to the album, and that's making allowances for Durst's "crying b-tches". The band behind the vocalist provides a lesson in musicianship, skill, and timing, but although Limp Bizkit's original fans have aged considerably since the band's beginnings, it is hardly a surprise to note that Durst's lyrical content ensures that the band's target audience remains teenagers. But although Gold Cobra's musicianship is evident, the band's efforts do not serve Durst and Borland's joint statement that the primary motivation to the band's reunion was their disgust with the state of popular heavy music. Songs like the toned-down, retrospective "Shotgun" do see a mature Limp Bizkit, with Durst's much maligned input even serving its purpose. There is even time for a beautifully measured Wes Borland guitar solo, where he emphasises his skill in playing for the song. DJ Lethal's input to the track cements it as the stand-out track of the album. Fred Durst's hinting that "big wigs" have opposed the release of "Douche Bag" as a single is one of the noted news stories to come out of this album's release. The song title alone serves ample levels of foreboding with chocolate starfish, but the song itself is well worked, with Borland coaxing some terrific squeals from his guitar. Yet even with Durst's cries of "douche bag" still bludgeoning my inner ear, the next track - "Walking Away" - proves Limp Bizkit has something relevant to offer over a decade since the band's inception. It sacrifices Durst's attitude for something more subtle. It is an unexpected surprise from Limp Bizkit. After that the band seems to fizzle out, with what can only be described as filler on show. Durst's attitude is Limp Bizkit's biggest obstacle, but the problem for the band is that without him...

Durst's vocals sound tired in this day and age, his delivery stuck in the 20th century. There are bands like the Stones and Led Zeppelin whose songs and attitude endure, and then there is the delivery of lyrics such as those found in "Douche Bag". It's banal, and rock has suited up a little since 2005.

Limp Bizkit is an experienced band, and although the music serves a purpose insofar as its credibility far outweighs anything that Durst brings to the band, there is nothing to say that this will reignite Limp Bizkit's former levels of popularity. In the meantime, keep listening to Black Light Burns, and if you really must, you can return to songs like "Rollin'".

LordThon
    Wes is one of the most creative rock musicians around, really. The problem is that I almost can't call him a guitarist. He doesn't treat it as a guitar. It's an instrument. Totally different. If we all just do sweeps, or speed picking, or arpeggios, and crap like that, it all sounds the same (which is a point made with Dethklok). Wes thinks in a completely different way. Take his seven string, for example. The reason he probably didn't have a very good response for the above mentioned interview is that he doesn't have it tuned as a seven. Two high Es, and then the rest matches a standard guitar (well, as far as Bizkit ever matched a standard tuning). And, frankly, Wes' tapping technique throughout his entire career has been mind-blowing (different rhythms for each hand in Re-arranged? Yes, please). So, ultimately, to state he has no idea what he's doing? Son, you're just not paying attention.
    TheAbsentOne
    I want to know when most of UG will get over the bandwagon hate for Limp Bizkit, KoRn, and other similar bands. This album is okay. And I will probably always love Limp Bizkit. I sure hope a tour comes soon, and they come around my area..
    Tomo-J
    hriday_hazarika wrote: Two reviews by UG Team. wat
    Horsedick.MPEG
    JJ1990
    To be honost I disagree with both reviews. Wouldn't give it so low nor so high. Would go with a score somewhere in between. I find the album quite enjoyable actually. Would rate it 7.
    cmart227
    Ibeanez wrote: Horsedick.MPEG wrote: Ibeanez wrote: Horsedick.MPEG wrote: Ibeanez wrote: Everyone likes to point out how Borland is the solid one in the band. Years ago when Ibanez was first pushing their 7-string guitars, they handed out a free video (vhs) on which they interviewed the best-known Ibanez 7-string players and asked them how they use it and why they like it. I'll never forget Borland basically sitting there with a blank look on his face, basically saying "I don't know what I'm doing". The guys from Korn did exactly the same thing. I pretty much ignored all of them after that. I saw that same video. Those guys did a really good interview and gave good insight, you're probably crying that they weren't going all epic on in-depth techie sh*t. Then you didn't see the same video. They gave no insight, and barely gave any interview. I think they were high at the time. You sure you weren't high? , Wow, aren't you creative. Got both brain cells working today, huh? Nice user name, tard.
    LOL, that name is great actually from a funny movie. And it is nice to be good at what you do (borland) and know nothing about what you are doing "musically". I know what I do on guitar well and know absolutely nothing about actual music theory or anythign else. I'm sure that there are a ton of other people that think the same way about their instrument. What would your response have been to the question to make you "actually care about them" after that?
    themetalpig
    The lyrics are rubbish immature/macho crap, how old is this guy!? As far as lyrics go, their previous release was better...checkout The Truth (from The Unquestionable Truth Pt.1 LP), decent lyrics and great riffing. I was keen to see them progress on this direction before they went missing.
    Tomo-J
    Am I right by guessing that 90% of people giving this album low ratings never even listened to it; they just did it because it has Limp Bizkit written on the cover?
    Apocalypse4162
    Ibeanez wrote: I have no doubt that you like Horsedick better than Ibanez, MPEG or real. I have many different brands of guitars as well. My user name is an inside joke. Unfortunately, so is his.
    It's from the movie "Miss March" you should check it out its hilarious
    flyingsheep223
    I love Limp Bizkit, saw them at Leeds Fest last year and they kicked ass. And if you're getting pissed at them being cocky, then they win and you got trolled.
    xSacrilegex
    2nd review was not done by a Bizkit fan, just a guitarist. He pointed out the squeals(which I think are ****in lame and overused by Borland) .
    Ibeanez
    all epic on in-depth techie sh*t.
    ...whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.
    Radynj
    The album really is quite good, if only for the instrumentals. Borland and the others knock it out of the park yet it's all dragged down by Durst. Definitely read Borlands rebuttal on Antiquiet though. I would give it a 7.5/10 and consider it one of the strongest LB albums.
    noisewall11
    Hobonator wrote: its funny to see limp and zakk wilde on the same page. Bizkit sucks.
    so does zakk wilde. coincidence?
    yukonchuck06
    I just find myself like before Wes quit, and came back, I still would rather listen to Korn...
    Shrey Kundra
    Tomo-J wrote: hriday_hazarika wrote: Two reviews by UG Team. wat Yeah, obviously it's a big no-no for UG Team to post anything positive about Limp Bizkit, so the second reviewer had to put it on the right track. Anyway, my most favourite album this year so far.
    This.
    moose1512
    Its a vocal style for the band, nothing more nothing less, if you don't like his voice, don't listen to it. His attitude isn't what you listen too. That and i thought he did "behind blue eyes" justice. Just my 2c
    Iommianity
    I can understand being a fan of a band like this. You know what to expect, and review accordingly. But consider this....giving an album like this a 7.5 leaves very little room for improvement. Then again, it's a shitty rating scale. Too many subpar albums get an 8 or 9 out of ten on release, and then the follow up manages to be an improvement.
    Loki_37
    animemetalhead
    So far, the album seems to have fairly good songs on it. The rapping seems to have toned down from the past albums and can almost pass for singing and the band itself sounds the heaviest it's ever been. Please give this album a chance.
    noisewall11
    Iommianity
    noisewall11 wrote: Loki_37 wrote: Sigh... This comments section is just bad. The album isn't much better. I've never been a huge fan of these guys, but this is bad. oh... "sigh".. "meh" people have a different opinion than you. boo freakin hoo.. it's like your trying to complain, but you really don't even have a reason.
    Haha, ironic much?
    Slayton101
    I listened to it, and this album deserves a solid 5. Some interesting music riffs, but other then that, nothing makes the band really stand out as something special. The singer is the weakest point of this band. Childish, immature lyrics and style included in this album lead me to believe that while Fred Durst has claimed to have changed and become a better person, he is still the untalented rapper with a very shallow mind. If you have nothing else to listen to, or just need to get your fix, then this will do. Beyond that, is left up to opinion.
    mguitarb
    well...there are two different videos. i konw what you mean. in one of them he really looks and acts like he's stoned. but there's also another one where he explains every new feature of a seven string ibanez with piezo pickups and whammy bar. this one is really good and informal. and he's not high
    robertito696
    I never liked them but what I've heard off this is actually pretty catchy, not very impressive musically but enjoyable none the less.
    BradTheBluefish
    The return to the classic heavy nu metal sound Limp Bizkit has been remembered as. Unfortunately, there are a few songs on here you should never ever listen to, the "softer side" is shit. "Shotgun", "Shark Attack", and AT LEAST "Gold Cobra" are a must for songs to download!
    sinterpol
    I'm so sorry. That's sad.
    Horsedick.MPEG
    You sure you weren't high?
    slaveskinJACKET
    stndrdprcdre
    I can't stop watching the video for Gold Cobra. That chick with the bouncing boobies is FOOOOOYYYYYNNNNNEEEE!
    Doodooma
    I grew up with these guys, and tbh, I actually think this is a great return. Rarely is a return album perfect, I just think too many people base this band on Fred D. and his actions outside of music. That's what metal is about, the music, isn't it? Also, no offense to Ibeanez and Horsedick.MPEG, but I haven't had this much fun since grade school.
    K Reyn
    K Reyn
    K Reyn wrote: To be honest I am so turned off by this group I doubt I will even give the album a change. "Keep rollin rollin rollin."
    chance*
    neversleeps84
    I haven't heard the new album yet so I can't comment on it, but judging from the reviews/comments, it seems that just as in the past, Borland and the rest of the band are the only saving grace compared to Durst's eternal mediocrity.
    imamusicadept
    his username is moderately silly, it's off of a movie... lol. good job. as far as limp bizkit goes i don't like them, heard a song off the album and didn't like it either. oh well. at least i think we can all agree that my username is the best!!!!! haha not really
    Ibeanez
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: How can somebody with a name like Ibeanez have any room to say anything about someone with a name like Horsedick.MPEG? At least we know where Horsedick(.MPEG) got his name. You just put a bean in Ibanez. And by the way, I have a couple Ibanez guitars, and besides the extended fretboard, they are my least favorite guitars that I own. So, I like Horsedick.MPEG's name better. And I know my name is stupid, too.