Significant Other review by Limp Bizkit

• Released: Mar 20, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Limp Bizkit: Significant Other

Nu-Metal rockers Limp Bizkit came out of Florida in the late 1990s onto MTV and rock rsdio stations. Their unique sound of rapping mixed with nu-metal guitars and drums became very popular. The band has apparently been one that either you love or you hate. With the release of their sophomore album "Significant Other", they became highly criticized. The album is a lot less intense and hardcore than the first album, and opened the door to the band's Rapcore sound. To listen to Significant Other, you must have an open mind. You need to come to terms with a) Limp Bizkit is far from being a very grandiose talented band. b) The music, today, is extremely dated. c) Today, it's not in any way unique. d) It's not a metal CD, it's not a rap CD. The CD begins with the intro. It's really 90s sounding with hip hop beats and sounds as if it could turn out to be a rap album. The band's DJ Lethal starts off talking into a voice tube. It's only 34 seconds and goes into the second song "Just Like This". The song is actually really good, and it's a good choice for an opener. It has some 90s sounding drumming, but an awesome Nu-Metal guitar riff on Wes Borland's detuned 7 string guitar. The rapping by Fred Durst is not high and nasally, and it's actually pretty pleasing. However, his monotonal chorus singing is annoying. DJ Lethal comes in later in the song with some cheesy 90s sounding "Limp Bizkit's in the house y'all!" and the song ends with a drum solo. The next song is the radio hit Nookie, which also begins with a nice Korn-esque riff. It sounds like it could go into a good song, but quickly goes into rapper Fred Durst's nasal reverb rapping. It's not anything special to me, and I usually skip the song. The song "Break Stuff" is aptly titled and was blamed for the riots at Woodstock 1999. It's a really good nu-metal song, probably the heaviest on the album. "Re-Arranged" is the only more rap centered song on the album that is okay. It starts with DJ Lethal scratching a corny record saying "Just Think 'Bout It!". Durst goes into the same monotone singing, but the musicianship in the song is pretty good. It's almost Pink Floyd sounding, though the lyrics are very lacking. The funky bass riff is cool and at the end of the song is a hidden track with DJ Lethal doing some insane scratching and sampling. It's really good, and I think it would be better if there were more tracks with DJ Lethal. "I'm Broke" has the stereotypical syncopated nu-metal guitar riff, with a three word chorus. "Nobody Like You" has guest vocals from Korn, and overall it's a very boring song. "N 2 Gether Now" is a purely rap song, and pretty good. Probably because the rapping isn't done by Fred Durst, but rather the Wu-Tang Clan. "Trust" is a pure, heavy nu-metal sound with a sound very similar to Slipknot. "No Sex" has the most hilarious song writing, which I will later discuss. There are some more rap songs, and another weird instrumental with DJ Lethal talking through a voice tube.

The songwriting on this album is extremely terrible, yet catchy. The lyrics are not deep at all, they're very superficial (Limp Bizkit's in the house yo! We got dem balls made of steel! Yo y'all! ). The best part on the albums however, is in "No Sex" which is about Fred Durst wanting to be in a celibate relationship. The chorus has some of the most hilariously bad songwriting I've ever encountered- "I should've kept my pants on, but you made me dive right in". The lyrics of "Re-Arranged" are meant to be somewhat emotional, but the emotion is lost in Durst's monotonal singing voice. Fred Durst's rapping in the more rap-related songs is really awful. His voice is really high and nasal, and it's at it's worst in "Trust" during a breakdown in which he talks in a strange smurf-esque voice. It's hard to take rap seriously when the rapper has a lisp. The rap is better when Durst does it in a deeper voice, like in "Just Like This". The regular singing is really boring and monotonal. Durst only does screaming on one song on this album, "Trust?". It's a good track.

The album doesn't exactly compare to anything else. It's sort of like late 90s Korn stuff or Linkin Park's early music. It's a hard album to categorize, but easy to like. I liked the simple, yet catchy and addictive guitar riffs by Wes Borland. They're really heavy and thick, and I like them. I liked the more heavy songs on the album "Break Stuff", "Trust?" but I did not like the rap songs at all "Show Me What Ya Got". DJ Lethal is probably the most talented of the entire band, and I liked his stuff (minus the intro and outro). It was probably my favorite part of the whole album.