Significant Other Review

Limp Bizkit: Significant Other
Released: June 22, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal, Rap-Rock
With their second album, Significant Other, they come close to reaching Korn's artistic level.
 Lyrics: 5.7
 7.5
 1,501
Significant Other Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2006

Sound: Limp Bizkit, 1999 is coming back to me now. Well, first of all, as far as sound goes, they sound good. I think Limp Bizkit is a dreamteam of musicians (besides Fred Durst). I mean Wes Borland is an excellent guitar player, you got DJ Lethal, John Otto, etc. They play the hell out of their instruments. I I believe Fred Durst made and destroyed their career, but, hey, everybody has different opinions. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically they suck, Fred Durst is probably one of the worst songrwriters I ever seen. He can sing nor write a serious song. The only song that I thought had good lyrics was "Re-Arranged", one of the better songs on Significant Other. Even in the song "No Sex" Fred Durst tried to be serious and came up with the lyrics: "Should have left my pants on this time, but instead you had to let me dive right in." I just wish he could hear how bad his ryhmes are. He sounds like a rock music Vanilla Ice. // 4

Overall Impression: Besides Fred Durst lacking any talent, I actually for some reason like this album. I'm a huge Wes Borland fan and I think some of his best guitar work is on Significant Other. I wouldn't buy this album unless if I was a true Limp Bizkit fan. This is their best work, and if you hear any of their other albums, you will want to kill yourself. My favorite song on this album is "Re-Arranged" for the simple reason Fred Durst made a song with a serious tone, but "Break Stuff" is a good song too. So if your interested, check it out. // 7

Significant Other Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: Limp Bizkit have always had a very recognisable sound and a very good sound. This album is no different. Each song sounds very unique with great effects thrown in to the mix. This is definatly a whole step up from the "Three Dollar Bill Ya'll" album. // 10

Lyrics: As with the sound, Fred Durst's lyrics and voice are very well recognised and sounds great. The lyrics and the music mix in well with each other, especially on songs like "No Sex," "Break Stuff," "Rearranged" and "Nookie." // 10

Overall Impression: I first had a copy of this album but one of my friends borrowed it and scratched the hell out of it. So I decided to buy it. It is such a great CD that you'll want to listen to it over and over again. There is nothing I hate about it except for maybe the intro and outro, but they don't really count 'cause they're not proper songs. The best songs on this are "No Sex," "Rearranged," "Nookie," "Break Stuff" and a few others that I can't remember the name of. This is definatly the best album out of all the others that Limp Bizkit have released. Second best would have to be "Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavoured Water." Also, "Significant Other" comes with a free bonus CD that has "Break Stuff," "Nookie," and "Rearranged" performed live (I think it's at the Family Values tour '99). Believe me when I say the songs sound just as good live as the do produced in the studio. Even though it's just on a CD you can really feel the energy of the crowd and of the band. Final words: break some s--t, have a little Nookie and buy this album. You won't regret it! // 10

Significant Other Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 01, 2004

Sound: This albulm came out when I was ten. Now, I finally got to listen to it. The sound is good. The Turntables are more emphasized than the guitar but it was good anyways. Wes Borland sounds really good on this albulm. Though its a shame he left the band. Some of the songs make you want to get up your ass and jump around. // 8

Lyrics: The Lyrics are good. Fred Durst is a pretty good rapper. His vocals are better on Re-arranged and No Sex. A lot of the songs are mostly about having fun. Break Stuff has some pretty good lyrics. Definitely a song to listen to when pissed off. No Sex is a really good song that shows fred is actually a person. Overall some of the lyrics are good. // 8

Overall Impression: Significant Other is one of Limp Bizkit's best cds. The best songs are Nookie, Break Stuff, Re-Arranged, Im Broke, In Together Now, and No Sex. if it were stolen id probably buy it again. Its worth buying. Many people say Limp Bizkit suck. Well i loved them when I was ten. Today they're okay. But some of us got to admit they were good when we were young. They're a guilty pleasure hands down. Overall a good albulm thats better than Results May Vary. // 8

Significant Other Reviewed by: Jimi444, on december 03, 2004

Sound: The sound of the album isn't good, like all of the other Limp Bizkit works. Though you do have Wes Borland who is actually a decant guitarist, you have Fred Durst's braincell killing voice and everyone else doesn't do anything for the album either. The style is rap-rock, which is probably where most of the least talented musicians are. // 4

Lyrics: Fred Durst has one of the worst lyrics in modern rock, just listen to them they are aweful. "I did it all for the nookie, come on, the nookie, come on. So you can take that cookie and stick it up you, yeah". What kind of aweful crap is that, the lyrics are freakin terrible. And Fred Durst's voice, don't get me started on Durst's voice. It is almost as bad as his lyrics. // 2

Overall Impression: How aweful this album is, I still like it more than their other albums. I still would strongly advise you not to buy this album, unless you really want to buy a Limp Bizkit album (because this is their best) or you like rap-rock band's like Linkin Park. // 4

Significant Other Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is very original. It was definatly a breakthrough towards their first album. this album is thier tightest album to date. Wes's riffs are very moving and catchy. While Fred's vocals are from the heart. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. Sure their are better lyrics out there and I know you can finish Fred's sentances sometimes, but again the lyrics can relate to alot of people. The lyrics are very catchy on this album and at the same time are amusing to listen to. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, my impression on this album, is that this is limps best album and I don't think they can top it. The sound is the most touching and original. From Just Like This right to a Lesson Learned this album deserves all the respect. This album I recommend to anyone who wants to check out Limp Bizkit. // 10

Significant Other Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2009

Sound: Nu-Metal rockers Limp Bizkit came out of Florida in the late 1990s onto MTV and rock rsdio stations. Their unique sound of rapping mixed with nu-metal guitars and drums became very popular. The band has apparently been one that either you love or you hate. With the release of their sophomore album "Significant Other", they became highly criticized. The album is a lot less intense and hardcore than the first album, and opened the door to the band's Rapcore sound. To listen to Significant Other, you must have an open mind. You need to come to terms with a) Limp Bizkit is far from being a very grandiose talented band. b) The music, today, is extremely dated. c) Today, it's not in any way unique. d) It's not a metal CD, it's not a rap CD. The CD begins with the intro. It's really 90s sounding with hip hop beats and sounds as if it could turn out to be a rap album. The band's DJ Lethal starts off talking into a voice tube. It's only 34 seconds and goes into the second song "Just Like This". The song is actually really good, and it's a good choice for an opener. It has some 90s sounding drumming, but an awesome Nu-Metal guitar riff on Wes Borland's detuned 7 string guitar. The rapping by Fred Durst is not high and nasally, and it's actually pretty pleasing. However, his monotonal chorus singing is annoying. DJ Lethal comes in later in the song with some cheesy 90s sounding "Limp Bizkit's in the house y'all!" and the song ends with a drum solo. The next song is the radio hit Nookie, which also begins with a nice Korn-esque riff. It sounds like it could go into a good song, but quickly goes into rapper Fred Durst's nasal reverb rapping. It's not anything special to me, and I usually skip the song. The song "Break Stuff" is aptly titled and was blamed for the riots at Woodstock 1999. It's a really good nu-metal song, probably the heaviest on the album. "Re-Arranged" is the only more rap centered song on the album that is okay. It starts with DJ Lethal scratching a corny record saying "Just Think 'Bout It!". Durst goes into the same monotone singing, but the musicianship in the song is pretty good. It's almost Pink Floyd sounding, though the lyrics are very lacking. The funky bass riff is cool and at the end of the song is a hidden track with DJ Lethal doing some insane scratching and sampling. It's really good, and I think it would be better if there were more tracks with DJ Lethal. "I'm Broke" has the stereotypical syncopated nu-metal guitar riff, with a three word chorus. "Nobody Like You" has guest vocals from Korn, and overall it's a very boring song. "N 2 Gether Now" is a purely rap song, and pretty good. Probably because the rapping isn't done by Fred Durst, but rather the Wu-Tang Clan. "Trust" is a pure, heavy nu-metal sound with a sound very similar to Slipknot. "No Sex" has the most hilarious song writing, which I will later discuss. There are some more rap songs, and another weird instrumental with DJ Lethal talking through a voice tube. // 6

Lyrics: The songwriting on this album is extremely terrible, yet catchy. The lyrics are not deep at all, they're very superficial (Limp Bizkit's in the house yo! We got dem balls made of steel! Yo y'all! ). The best part on the albums however, is in "No Sex" which is about Fred Durst wanting to be in a celibate relationship. The chorus has some of the most hilariously bad songwriting I've ever encountered- "I should've kept my pants on, but you made me dive right in". The lyrics of "Re-Arranged" are meant to be somewhat emotional, but the emotion is lost in Durst's monotonal singing voice. Fred Durst's rapping in the more rap-related songs is really awful. His voice is really high and nasal, and it's at it's worst in "Trust" during a breakdown in which he talks in a strange smurf-esque voice. It's hard to take rap seriously when the rapper has a lisp. The rap is better when Durst does it in a deeper voice, like in "Just Like This". The regular singing is really boring and monotonal. Durst only does screaming on one song on this album, "Trust?". It's a good track. // 2

Overall Impression: The album doesn't exactly compare to anything else. It's sort of like late 90s Korn stuff or Linkin Park's early music. It's a hard album to categorize, but easy to like. I liked the simple, yet catchy and addictive guitar riffs by Wes Borland. They're really heavy and thick, and I like them. I liked the more heavy songs on the album "Break Stuff", "Trust?" but I did not like the rap songs at all "Show Me What Ya Got". DJ Lethal is probably the most talented of the entire band, and I liked his stuff (minus the intro and outro). It was probably my favorite part of the whole album. // 7

Comments