Three Dollar Bill, Y'All$ review by Limp Bizkit

• Released: Jul 1, 1997
Limp Bizkit: Three Dollar Bill, Y'All$

The sound of this record is very unique if I might say. My justification for saying that is purely because of the combination of rap and metal. I know, I sound like I'm a little late by saying that. But back then, Korn and Faith No More were one of the few bands to tread such a ground, and neither of them performed such a musical feat, full-time, like Limp Bizkit did. Wes's diverse guitar playing proves that all metal isnt just all out ripping, on songs like Sour and Nobody Loves Me. At the same time, his shredding guitar riffs on songs like Counterfeit and Pollution prove to narrow minded bystanders that these guys are not a 4 chord bubble gum metal band. Not only that, but the Fieldy-esque funk driven bass riffs dished out by Sam Rivers can be heard on anthems like Stuck. John Otto is a quint-esetnial Bizkit, laying down his own style of pounding hip hop influenced drumming atop the bands heaviness. DJ Lethal, the Latvian terror and former mix master of House Of Pain, gives the band all the hip hop they need, not just by scratching it up on tunes like Faith, but giving us sound clips and other effects of the sort on almost all of the tunes. And of course, Durst's rapping/singing/screaming adds all the diversity to the groundbreaking sound the band needs.

Another reason for my belife on why this is the best Limp record: the lyrics. Most people know Limp Bizkit for being the dudes on TV rapping about steryotypical stuff like "Don't mess with us," "I did it all for the Nookie," and whatnot. But on this particular record, the writing was more complex and deeper than that. Songs like Sour reveal the singer's past experience of bad relationships. On songs like Nobody Loves Me, we can almost get a feel of what the frontman's teenage years were like lonely and dark. Counterfeit is a tune that maybe a few of you can relate to someone close to you, may it be a family member or a friend, dramatically changes appearance, personality, the works and completely stabs you in the back. And of course, we get songs like Pollution that really cant be taken for anything more than a hard rock/nu-metal tune that makes you wanna jump right into a mosh pit full of enraged football players.

My overall impression of the record is that theres never going to be a record from the LB that is like it. It may contain some of the heaviness as this one, it may have some lyrical similarities to it. Hell, maybe they'll re-do one of the 3 Dollar Bill songs for one of their later albums. But the fact of the matter is is that no Limp Bizkit album has ever been an exact copy as the last. For the most part, thats a good thing, but in this case, 3 Dollar Bill was, like stated before, unique. Take Linkin Park, give them nothing but a few mics, a 4 track Tascam, raw musical equipment, and get them all really pissed off and lock them in a basement for a month. They'll most likely resurface with a blood and sweat covered tape that contains all the highly produced/edited/mixed heavy songs that they've ever done, but just alot dirter and with alot more anger to them. that is exactly how 3 Dollar Bill's raw sound can be compared to all of their highly produced albums following it. Raw recording gets a little old in music like black metal, purely for the fact that most black metal bands have an aversion to recording professionally, but in Limp Bizkit's case, they need a return to the days of old. They need to step away from whatever they've been doing and retrace their steps and give us another metal masterpiece, as they did in 1997 with 3 Dollar Bill Yall.

Mobbex
    Great album. The guitar work is so varied and artsy... Wes Borland's my hero.