A Thousand Suns review by Linkin Park

• Released: Sep 10, 2010
Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns

Linkin Park is out with their fourth studio album: A Thousand Sons. Interesting to notice, the sound has been quite similar to their new found musical direction- one that was found in Minutes to Midnight. However, this album shows a bit too much of experimentation with ambient elements, which has created a concern that they are deviating away too much from what they used to be. This album is totally devoid of their well known 3 minutes Nu Metal pieces, which they are so popular of. Rather, this work has a mixture of mellow rock, ambient and pop sound and feel to it. To me, that's over experimentation. It contains too many, short interlude tracks which really make it easy to forget. On contrary, the positive aspect is, as LP is know, the songs are well polished in terms of their production quality (this, actually, doesn't need any mention). And I missed Brad's slingy riffs on this album, which kind of wants me to go back to their older works. But, if someone is looking for improvisation and a bit of complexity in the guitar works, this album will deliver well.

The lyrics could've been much better in this album, I would say many of the songs began with catchy verses but then, out of nowhere, they started to get a bit hackneyed. I liked the way The Catalyst started off, saying about the problems of society that are inescapable but then again, the lyrics start to get repetitive (How many times would they have to say God save us everyone, we're a broken people living under a loaded gun). The song Waiting For the End also has a good touch to it. As for singing, it's evident that Chester hasn't displayed his screams regularly. Fact. This album wasn't made for his screams. But he more than managed to keep listeners with his clean vocals, and he sings with versatility. However, Mike's potential as rapper has fallen somewhat. He has failed to throw out his charisma that he used to possess.

Overall, this album disappointed me somewhat. After listening to Minutes to Midnight, I expected something of more essence than this. They have totally diverted their music into uncharted territories. Not that it's bad to experiment, rather it created a discord in their own sound. They should've, atleast, made some songs akin to their previous works, just to spice up the sound and keep listeners interested. I would have to say, I also fell asleep listening to some of the raps of Mike. It might also split their fan base, as experimentation so often do. To say the least, Linkin Park is not a band that I like but I still wrote the review of what I thought about this album. The band's sound has evolved a lot since those early Meteora and Hybrid Theory days. Although this album had some moments of creativity in it, it's very far away to receive worldwide acclaim.